Release Notes 5.0.0 Jaglion
Copyright © SEP AG 1999-2021. All rights reserved.
Any form of reproduction of the contents or parts of this manual is allowed only with the express written permission from SEP AG. When compiling and designing user documentation SEP AG uses great diligence and attempts to deliver accurate and correct information. However, SEP AG cannot issue a guarantee for the contents of this manual.
|SEP AG is pleased to announce that the upcoming version of SEP sesam, v. 188.8.131.52 Jaglion, is currently in the beta 1 release phase. This document describes known issues for beta 1 release as well as the most important new features and additional information for the upcoming official release.
- 1 What's new in SEP sesam 5.0.0 Jaglion
- 1.1 Features at a glance
- 1.2 New supported systems
- 1.3 Discontinued systems
- 1.4 SEP sesam Server requirements
- 1.5 Installation and upgrades
- 2 Known issues and limitations
- 3 Important fixes
- 4 Enhancements and changes
- 4.1 Nutanix AHV
- 4.2 Authentication and authorization
- 4.3 Certificate-based authentication
- 4.4 Automating backup process
- 4.5 HPE Cloud Volumes storage
- 4.6 Resilient Change Tracking for Hyper-V
- 4.7 Oracle-VM task type
- 4.8 New and improved with web Restore Assistant
- 4.9 Web UI enhancements
- 4.10 GUI enhancements
- 4.11 Technical improvements
- 5 End of maintenance and support
- 6 Major fixes and changes
- 7 See also
What's new in SEP sesam 5.0.0 Jaglion
New SEP sesam release 5.0.0 Jaglion introduces a more powerful and intuitive Web UI, handy new GUI functions, and more consistent and stable internal APIs.
Features at a glance
Improvements and bug fixes
This release contains a number of improvements and important fixes in various areas and resolves the issue with slow tape restore performance.
Extended SEP sesam REST API V2
The SEP sesam REST API V2 has been extended to support a wide variety of use cases. A large number of new endpoints have been added. For details, see SEP sesam REST API V2 Jaglion.
Enhanced Web UI
The more advanced and intuitive Web UI offers the following in addition to monitoring SEP sesam operations: Start backups immediately, restart failed jobs, lock backups, review alerts, set UI mode, and view job and data store details.
Backup & restore
- Now also supported: Nutanix Acropolis Hypervisor (AHV) backup and restore. The Nutanix AHV module is supported on SEP sesam Linux Server and on SEP sesam Windows Server, using a Linux Client as a data mover.
- To simplify backing up multiple VMs, you can automate the process by automatically generating tasks for VMs that are connected to the same host; in addition, you can also automatically create clients for VMs to which the generated tasks and ACLs can be assigned.
- The new Oracle-VM task type is available to perform agentless snapshot-based backups of all OLVM virtual machines.
- Si3 deduplication store has been improved; the new Si3 NG deduplication store enables significantly higher deduplication performance.
- VFS (Sesam virtual file system) performance improvements enable 100x faster access to vSphere VMs booted directly from SEP sesam data store.
- When browsing a VMware vSphere server for backup sources, VMs are displayed in the vCenter tree along with the host and clusters. The client browser for VMware now displays a description of the configured backup tasks and details of the VM-related metadata that can be copied.
- For direct HPE backups and especially replications to the cloud, the new data store type HPE Cloud Volumes is available.
- For Microsoft Windows Server 2016 or later, the Resilient Change Tracking (RCT) is supported to back up Hyper-V virtual machines.
- Since Jaglion, the locked state is automatically applied to all backups in the chain of the selected backup.
- When backing up Citrix Hypervisor VMs, it is possible to exclude individual virtual disk (VHD) from the backup.
Web Restore Assistant
- The web Restore Assistant now supports restoring new task types (Nutanix AHV, Micro Focus GroupWise, etc.) and provides additional restore options.
- Also supported is web single file restore for virtual machines.
- Web Exchange restore: It is possible to perform a single Exchange mailbox database restore with SEP sesam Exchange Recovery Pro via the web Restore Assistant (with appropriate rights).
- VMware sandbox restore via the Restore Assistant offers improved functionality and usability of the recovery options, i.e. the use of run and execution commands of the VMware guest tools.
- Restore of MS SQL Server databases using web Restore Assistant is supported with specific recovery state and execution options.
SEP sesam v. 5.0.0 authentication concept has changed. Now only a user with Superuser privileges can configure authentication and attach permissions (ACLs) to created users. The internal users can be authenticated via a signed certificate instead of a user password.
Expiring a tape provides a new option to delete all metadata, which erases all tape media metadata and initializes the tape (if the tape is loaded in a drive), removing access to all existing data on the tape.
New supported systems
SEP sesam Server 5.0.0 Jaglion now also supports the following:
- Nutanix AHV
- HCL Domino 12
- Debian 11 (bullseye)
- RHV 4.4
- SLES15 Service Pack 3 (SP3) for SEP sesam Server (in previous version, SP3 was only supported for RDS, GUI and Client)
Improvements: Cryptographic protocols OpenSSL 1.1.1/TLS2
For a complete list of supported OS and databases, see SEP sesam Support Matrix.
|In SEP sesam Jaglion, SEP announced that it would no longer support:
SEP sesam Server requirements
SEP sesam GUI is based on Java and requires a Java Runtime Environment (JRE). The required Java version depends on the SEP sesam version.
|Java 17 is not supported by SEP sesam. For a list of supported Java versions, see the Java Compatibility Matrix.|
Installation and upgrades
SEP sesam Jaglion 184.108.40.206 beta was released (and available for testing) on 8th of November, 2021. Direct upgrade for versions 4.4.3.X to version Jaglion 220.127.116.11 beta is supported.
Latest released versions are:
- SEP sesam 18.104.22.168 beta Linux – released: 8th of November, 2021.
- SEP sesam 22.214.171.124 beta Windows – released: 8th of November, 2021.
In order to meet all required dependencies for the SEP sesam Client packages on SLES 15 SP1 or SP2, it may be required to activate the following package modules prior to SEP sesam installation:
Module-Basesystem Module-Server-Applications Module-Legacy
These modules are part of the installation DVD; in case no online subscription is available, they can be added via:
zypper ar dvd:/Module-Server-Applications DVD-Server zypper ar dvd:/Module-Basesystem DVD-BASE zypper ar dvd:/Module-Legacy DVD-Legacy
SEP sesam Server and Client components should be upgraded to the latest version during the upgrade process. This ensures that SEP sesam Clients are fully protected. Customers with a valid license are eligible for a free upgrade of SEP sesam to any new release for the duration of the license. See also Updating SEP sesam and Remote Installation of Windows Clients.
Post update task
Version 5.0.0.x uses the enhanced LIS file format, which increases performance at least 10 times. After updating to version 5.0.0.x, a new full vSphere backup should be performed to allow mounting and attaching VMDKs.
Known issues and limitations
|Antivirus programs may disrupt network communication and cause SEP sesam processes, such as backup and replication, to fail. One program that is known to cause SEP sesam processes to terminate is Sophos Firewall with IPS (Intrusion Prevention System) enabled. Make sure that there are no antivirus, firewall, IDS or IPS programs preventing interaction with SEP sesam.|
|5.0.0 Jaglion known issues:|
|Fixed with SEP sesam Server 5.0.0 Jaglion:|
Enhancements and changes
With Jaglion, SEP sesam provides efficient data protection for Nutanix AHV virtual machines (VMs). The Nutanix AHV module is supported on SEP sesam Linux Server and on SEP sesam Windows Server, using a Linux Client as a data mover. You can easily back up and restore Nutanix AHV VMs, as described in Nutanix AHV Backup and Nutanix AHV Restore.
The authentication and authorization concept is enhanced with two new user types - superuser, which replaces the previous admin role, and backup user. Now only a user with Superuser privileges can configure authentication and attach permissions (ACLs) to created users. For details, see About Authentication and Authorization and Using Access Control lists.
Now it is possible to authenticate users via a signed certificate instead of a user password if a database-based authentication is enabled. Note that the users from external authentication sources (LDAP/AD) cannot be authenticated using a certificate (only by using a password). For details, see Configuring Certificate-Based Authentication.
Automating backup process
To simplify backing up multiple VMs, you can automate the process by automatically generating tasks for VMs that are connected to the same host; you can also automatically create clients for VMs that can be assigned the generated tasks and ACLs. It is recommended to use these features when a new hypervisor is added and many new VMs need to be backed up. For details, see Automating Backup Process.
HPE Cloud Volumes storage
In addition to HPE StoreOnce Catalyst stores and HPE Cloud Bank storage, you can now use HPE Cloud Volumes as backup storage. The HPE Cloud Volumes solution provides efficient direct backup, replication, and restore. Although you can use HPE Cloud Volume store for direct backups, it is recommended that you use it more as a secondary target repository for replication. For details, see HPE Cloud Volumes Backup.
Resilient Change Tracking for Hyper-V
For Microsoft Windows Server 2016 or later, the Resilient Change Tracking feature (RCT) is supported to back up Hyper-V virtual machines. Similar to CBT for VMware and Citrix, incremental backup technology RCT for Hyper-V detects block-level changes and backs up only the data that has changed since the last incremental backup. This allows you to back up VMs faster while saving storage space. See RCT for Hyper-V.
Oracle-VM task type
The new Oracle-VM task type is available to perform agentless snapshot-based backups of all OLVM virtual machines, regardless of their workload or operating system. See OLVM Backup.
New and improved with web Restore Assistant
The web Restore Assistant supports new task types and offers new features and an intuitive user experience that makes restoring data online quick and easy. For details, see Restore Assistant.
Web single file restore (SFR) for VMs
In the web interface Restore assistant, you can now restore individual files from VMware, Hyper-V, RHV/OLVM, Citrix Hypervisor, KVM/QEMU, OpenNebula and Nutanix AHV virtual machines online, if you have been granted the appropriate permissions. SFR for Proxmox VE VM is currently not supported. For details, see Web Single File Restore for Virtual Machines.
Web Exchange restore
Now it is possible to restore a single Exchange mailbox database using SEP sesam Exchange Recovery Pro via the web interface Restore Assistant. Exchange Recovery Pro is only supported on Windows systems and must be installed on the system serving as SEP sesam Server or SEP sesam RDS. See Web Exchange Restore.
Web VMware sandbox restore
Enhanced VMware sandbox restore via the web Restore Assistant can be performed in advanced restore mode. It provides improved functionality and usability of the recovery options, i.e. the use of run and execution commands of the VMware guest tools. See VMware Sandbox Restore.
Web MS SQL restore
Online restore of MS SQL Server databases is supported with specific recovery state options (leave the database ready for use by rolling back uncommitted transactions, etc.) and additional execution options (overwrite existing items with newer/older items from backup and skip ACL settings during restore). See Web MS SQL Restore.
Web UI enhancements
SEP sesam Web UI now provides a more detailed overview of jobs and tasks, improved monitoring of the SEP sesam environment, and the possibility of performing different operations, e.g., running or locking the backups, restarting failed jobs, etc. For details, see SEP sesam Web UI.
- Under the Configuration -> Defaults -> General tab, two additional options are available. Now you can use Sort case insensitive option to ensure that upper- and lowercase letters are treated the same when sorting results. Additionally, new filter option allows you to set a delay for reloading data when changing the filter(s). For details, see Configuration: Defaults.
- When creating a backup task on Linux, you can now set that deleted or modified files are not reported as errors. For details, see Creating a Backup Task.
- Now you can start the replication immediately under the Activities -> Immediate Start -> Replication, see Activities.
- In previous SEP sesam versions, the backup locked state (savesets of the backup cannot be deleted) is applied to the selected backup only, so you have to lock all backups of a backup chain manually. As of Jaglion, the locked state is automatically applied to all backups in the backup chain. See Backups by State.
- When backing up Citrix Hypervisor VMs, you can exclude individual virtual disk (VHD) from Full/Diff/Incr backup in the SEP sesam GUI to avoid storage occupancy. For details, see Citrix XenServer Backup.
- Expiring a tape provides a new option to delete all metadata, which erases all tape media metadata and initializes the tape (if the tape is loaded in a drive), removing access to all existing data on the tape.
End of maintenance and support
Upcoming end of support
SEP sesam 4.4.3 Grolar -> October 2021
Discontinued SEP sesam Server OS
The following table lists the last supported version of SEP sesam for specified operating systems. You can continue using the last supported version of SEP sesam on these operating systems, but SEP AG no longer provides updates or fixes for the specified versions.
|Operating system||Last supported version||Release||Notes|
|SLES 11 SP2, SP3, SP4||4.4.3.x Beefalo V2, see notes||4.4.3 Beefalo V2||SEP announced that it would no longer support SLES 11 SP2, SP3, SP4 with SEP sesam Beefalo, but has re-established support for Beefalo V2, where all SEP sesam Beefalo V2 packages (Server, Client, etc.) can be used. However, Beefalo V2 is the last supported SEP sesam release for SLES 11 SP2, SP3, SP4 .|
|Windows Server 2008 R2||4.4.3.x Beefalo V2, see notes||4.4.3 Beefalo V2||SEP announced that it would no longer support SEP sesam Server on Windows Server 2008 R2 with SEP sesam Beefalo, but has re-established this support already in Beefalo. This actually means that the last supported SEP sesam Server release for Windows Server 2008 R2 is Beefalo V2.|
|Ubuntu 16.04||126.96.36.199 Beefalo V2||4.4.3 Beefalo V2|
|RHEL 6||188.8.131.52 Grolar||4.4.3 Grolar|
|Debian 8 »Jessie«||184.108.40.206 Grolar||4.4.3 Grolar|
|Debian 7 »Wheezy«||220.127.116.11 Grolar||4.4.3 Grolar||Version 18.104.22.168 only available for sesam-cli on amd64|
|Windows Server 2008||22.214.171.124 Grolar||4.4.3 Grolar|
|Windows 7||126.96.36.199 Grolar||4.4.3 Grolar|
|Ubuntu 14.04||188.8.131.52 Tigon V2||4.4.3 Tigon V2|
|All 32-bit operating systems||184.108.40.206||4.2.2||For some operating systems SEP sesam client is still available in 32-bit.|
|Debian 6 »Squeeze«||220.127.116.11||4.2.2||sesam-cli also available in version 18.104.22.168|
|Windows Server 2003||22.214.171.124||4.2.2|
|Debian 5 »Lenny«||126.96.36.199||4.2.1|
|SLES 11 ≤ SP1||188.8.131.52||4.2.1||Initial SLES 11 Release and Servicepack 1|
For a complete list of supported SEP sesam clients, see SEP sesam Support Matrix.
Major fixes and changes
- See changes at SEP sesam download – changes.