Release Notes 4.4.3 Tigon v.2
Copyright © SEP AG 1999-2019. All rights reserved.
Any form of reproduction of the contents or parts of this manual is allowed only with the express written permission from SEP AG. When compiling and designing user documentation SEP AG uses great diligence and attempts to deliver accurate and correct information. However, SEP AG cannot issue a guarantee for the contents of this manual.
- 1 What's new in SEP sesam 4.4.3 Tigon v.2
- 2 Known issues and limitations
- 3 Enhancements and changes
- 3.1 Kopano backup
- 3.2 Self-Service Restore Assistant
- 3.3 Simplified SAP ASE backup and restore
- 3.4 DB2 automatic archive log backup
- 3.5 Restoring MS SQL database to a new location using GUI
- 3.6 BSR Pro 2.0 supports encrypted volumes
- 3.7 GUI enhancements
- 3.8 Limited maximum initial size of Si3 deduplication store
- 4 End of maintenance and support
- 5 Major fixes and changes
- 6 See also
What's new in SEP sesam 4.4.3 Tigon v.2
Tigon v.2 provides enhanced backup and restore capabilities for DB2 with DB2 automatic archive log backup, simplified backup and restore for SAP ASE, restoring MS SQL database to a new location using GUI, and SEP sesam BSR Pro 2.0 new option to support backup and restore of encrypted volumes.
GUI enhancements enable you to clean up orphaned savesets from data store manually, quickly scan the success of backup jobs by toggle grouping, use improved smart grouping when generating a task for grouped VMs, and examine the progress of the replication.
The maximum initial size for Si3 deduplication store is restricted to 40 TB.
SEP sesam will automatically retain the last successful backup or migration saveset in the same pool when the next backup/migration fails. Note that this behavior is version specific and it differs from the default behavior implemented in version 188.8.131.52 Tigon. For details, see Managing EOL.
SEP sesam Server requirements
- Java 8 (at least patch level 111; note that Java 9 is not supported!)
- SEP sesam 4.4.3 Tigon v.2 requires a Java version equal to or higher than JRE 8u111 (≥ JRE 1.8.0_111) regardless of the operating system. (Previous Tigon versions already required Java 8 for SEP sesam Server and GUI on Windows. For other operating systems both Java 7 and Java 8 were usable.) For details, see Java Compatibility Matrix.
- JavaFX is required for the web-based dashboard and user-defined schedules features. The dashboard can also be viewed in GUI, but only if JavaFX is present on the respective GUI client. If JavaFX is not available, the web dashboard can only be accessed by browser (http://[servername]:11401/sep/ui).
|Oracle®'s Java 8 already includes JavaFX (e.g., on Windows). Oracle®'s OpenJFX Project provides JavaFX packages that can be installed separately if some other Java version is used, such as IBM Java, which is typically installed on SuSE. Depending on your system and Java version, manually install either OpenJFX package or Oracle®'s Java 8 on your SEP sesam GUI client to have all the latest features available.|
- x64 or PowerPC architecture required
- SEP sesam Server requires an operating system running on 64-bit x86 (x86-64) or a PowerPC (PPC) architecture. PowerPC is supported for several Linux distributions, see SEP sesam Support Matrix.
Installation and upgrades
SEP sesam 4.4.3 Tigon v.2 was released on 5th of December, 2017. Direct upgrade for versions 3.6/4.x to version 4.4.3 Tigon v.2 is supported.
Latest released versions are:
- SEP sesam 184.108.40.206 Linux – released: 5th of December, 2017.
- SEP sesam 220.127.116.11 Windows – released: 5th of December, 2017.
The 4.4.3 Tigon v.2 installation package on Windows also includes:
- VMware® Virtual Disk Development Kit (VDDK) version 6.5 for Windows.
- Callback File System® (CBFS®) version 6.1.181 from EldoS Corporation, used to create virtual file systems and disks for savesets which are stored on SEP sesam local data store or Si3 deduplication store.
|A CBFS driver is needed for the virtual file system layer (Cross Platform Recovery File System – XPRFS). The installation/update of this driver requires a reboot of your newly installed or updated Windows SEP sesam Server unless this driver is already installed with a previous SEP sesam 4.4.3 installation.|
SEP sesam Server and Client components should be upgraded to the latest version during the upgrade process. This ensures that SEP sesam Clients are fully protected. Customers with a valid license are eligible for a free upgrade of SEP sesam to any new release for the duration of the license. See also Automatic Updates and Automatic Installation on Windows.
Known issues and limitations
|Antivirus programs may disrupt network communication and cause SEP sesam processes, such as backup and replication, to fail. One program that is known to cause SEP sesam processes to terminate is Sophos Firewall with IPS (Intrusion Prevention System) enabled. Make sure that there are no antivirus, firewall, IDS or IPS programs preventing interaction with SEP sesam.|
|4.4.3 Tigon v.2 known issues:|
|Fixed with SEP sesam Server 18.104.22.168 Tigon V2:|
- SEP sesam backup for hypervisors (VMware, Hyper-V, Citrix Xen, KVM, OpenNebula) cannot back up the data on external disks
The data of such disks is silently skipped from backup, hence the backup saveset contains no data for the external disk while the backup succeeds and no warning about the missing data is issued.
- In case of VMware, SEP sesam cannot back up the data on the independent or Raw Device Mapping (RDM) disks due to a VMware limitation that does not support including independent/RDM disks in virtual machine snapshots. To have a successful backup, you should exclude the independent disks/RDMs from the backup task or install a SEP sesam Client in the virtual machine and perform an additional file or application backup to back up this data.
- In case of other hypevisors (Hyper-V, Citrix Xen, KVM, OpenNebula), SEP sesam cannot back up the data on the RDM disks or on a VM without attached SCSI controller(s). To back these hypervisors, you have to add one or more SCSI controller to the virtual machine before performing a backup, even if there are no devices to use the SCSI, or you have to install a SEP sesam Client in the virtual machine and perform an additional file or application backup to back up this data.
|If a restore of a VM with external disk is performed to the original VM by using the option overwrite, the disk is re-created and all existing data on the restore target is lost.|
Enhancements and changes
Zarafa re-branded to Kopano in 2016; SEP sesam provides efficient data protection for this mail and messaging collaboration suite in place of Zarafa. SEP sesam backup extension for Kopano Collaboration Platform provides backup and restore of single user mails, mailboxes and public folders. For details, see Kopano Backup.
Self-Service Restore Assistant
As of v. 4.4.3. Tigon v.2, it is possible to restore savesets online with the Self-Service Restore Assistant. After authentication users can restore their own data, if they belong to the user group restore and the following conditions are met: backed up data belongs to an ordinary Path backup (no special task types, such as system state backup, SAP Hana, Exchange Server, can be restored online); if a backup is encrypted, the password must be stored in the SEP sesam database (SEP sesam does not provide an option to enter the encryption password online). For details, see Self-Service Restore Assistant.
Simplified SAP ASE backup and restore
The SAP ASE backup extension is now implemented as an internal backup appliance to provide efficient data protection for SAP ASE and simplify the restore process. It performs online backups of SAP based on Sybase ASE databases using the Sybase SQL API. For details, see SAP ASE Backup.
DB2 automatic archive log backup
In order to enable online backups of DB2, you have to enable archive logging for DB2 by modifying the LOGARCHMETH1 and LOGARCHOPT1 database configuration parameters. This enables automatic archive log backup to SEP sesam. For details, see DB2 Backup.
Restoring MS SQL database to a new location using GUI
SEP sesam GUI now provides a simple way of restoring a SQL Server database to the same machine while retaining the old one in place. This is an alternative to the move option which lets you define the new name of the database files as well as new location for these files. For details, see GUI restore wizard relocation.
BSR Pro 2.0 supports encrypted volumes
Direct forensic can be specified as a special option to back up and restore encrypted drives. The data remains encrypted even after the image is restored. This option can be set in the backup task properties. For details, see SEP sesam BSR Pro – Backup Configuration.
- You can manually remove orphaned savesets from the data stores by using the new Clean up option in the Data Stores content pane. This is useful in cases when a data store seems to be inaccessible, its storage space is occupied, or SEP sesam space check shows non-sesam data. For details, see Data Store.
- You can use additional Toggle Grouping option in the Backups content pane to group the same backup task states in one item and display its current status. Grouping allows you to quickly scan the success of backup jobs. For details, see Toggle Grouping.
- When automating backup of virtual machines by creating VMware tasks, you can use the improved Create VM tasks option with a powerful Attributes feature to enable smart grouping of existing or new VMs that fit certain criteria for backups. For details, see Automating Backup of Virtual Machines.
- In the Migration and Replications content pane you can examine the progress of the replication and see how much data is being transferred; you can check data size, physical and nominal data in the new columns Data Size, Transferred, Transferred (Brutto) and Progress. For details, see Checking replication status.
Limited maximum initial size of Si3 deduplication store
To avoid issues arising from combination of too large Si3 deduplication stores and inefficient hardware, the maximum initial Si3 deduplication store size is restricted to 40 TB since Tigon V2 (22.214.171.124). This restriction is valid when creating a new Si3 deduplication store in GUI.
|Customers with special requirements for larger Si3 deduplication store should contact SEP support to be able to increase the value up to an optimum size for their specific environments.|
End of maintenance and support
Obsolete SEP sesam Server version
No changes since SEP sesam version 4.4.3 Tigon.
Unsupported SEP sesam Server OS
No changes since SEP sesam version 4.4.3 Tigon.
Major fixes and changes
- See changes at SEP sesam download – changes.