Release Notes 4.4.1
- 1 What's new in SEP sesam release 4.4.1
- 2 Known Issues and Limitations
- 3 Enhancements and Changes
- 3.1 SEP sesam Server requirements
- 3.2 New supported systems
- 3.3 GUI Enhancements
- 3.4 Deduplication for Linux
- 3.5 Deduplication for Windows (since SEP sesam V126.96.36.199)
- 3.6 Enhanced recovery for VMWare vSphere
- 3.7 Soft reset CBT
- 3.8 Included VDDK 5.5.1 for Windows
- 3.9 Data Store configuration
- 3.10 Data Store space calculation for space check and license check
- 3.11 Granularity check for Microsoft Exchange
- 3.12 Microsoft Data Deduplication Enabled Volumes
- 3.13 HTTPS protocol support
- 3.14 Enhanced Migration Options
- 4 End of Maintenance and Support
- 5 Major fixes and changes
What's new in SEP sesam release 4.4.1
SEP sesam provides extended support for VMWare vSphere that enables instant VMware vSphere recovery as well as single item restore. Si3 target deduplication for Linux is introduced. SEP sesam GUI has been enhanced to provide better overview of the configured tasks and clients. Additionally, new options for customizing the GUI are now available. For details, see Enhancements and changes.
Upgrades and licensing
Direct upgrade for versions 3.6/4.x to version 4.4.1 is supported.
Version 4.4.1 was released on July 16th, 2014.
Latest released versions are:
- SEP sesam 188.8.131.52 Linux - Released: March 11th, 2015.
- SEP sesam 184.108.40.206 Windows - Released: March 11th, 2015.
SEP sesam server and client components should be upgraded to the latest version during the regular upgrade process. This ensures the highest possible protection of the SEP sesam clients. Customers with a valid license are eligible for a free SEP sesam upgrade for any new release until the license is valid. See also Automatic Update.
Known Issues and Limitations
Enhancements and Changes
SEP sesam Server requirements
- Java 7 or higher required
- SEP sesam Server and GUI require Java 7 or higher to work properly. Java 6 is not supported.
- 64-bit OS required
- SEP sesam Server requires a 64-bit OS.
New supported systems
SEP sesam Server 4.4.1 now also supports the following operating systems and applications:
Newly supported operating systems
- SLES 12 (Version 220.127.116.11)
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Path Backup and Restore of Windows 2012 Volumes on Storage Spaces (Disaster Recovery of Storage Spaces are not supported)
Newly supported applications
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 Service Pack 1 (SP1) . See SEP sesam Exchange for further details.
- SAP HANA (SEP sesam is SAP HANA certified ) . See SEP sesam SAP HANA for further details.
- Novell GroupWise 2014 . See SEP sesam GroupWise 2012/2014 for further details.
New Clients and Tasks Overview
- In the Components view, a new item Clients is available as an alternative view to the Components -> Topology. It provides an overview of all configured clients in a form of a list. See Clients table for further details.
- In the Tasks view, a new item as List is provided as an alternative view to the Tasks -> by Clients. It shows all configured tasks by clients as a list. Tasks can be edited in the Properties dialog. They can be started immediately by clicking the Immediate Start button. See Tasks As List for further details.
The lists can be sorted, filtered, and printed. Optionally, additional columns can be added to get as much information about the configured Clients and Tasks as possible.
Customized Fonts and Lists
In the menu bar Configuration -> Defaults, a new tab Fonts and Tables is available in the Defaults dialog. You can change the font style, table striping and table row spacing of the entire GUI.
Changed GUI file name
GUI file name has been changed: GUI JAR files sm_gui.jar and sm_lib.jar have been replaced with sm_ui.jar.
Refresh Button in all Task Dialogs (since V18.104.22.168)
The Main Log tab of task/restore task/migration task dialog can now be reloaded using either the F5 button or the Refresh button on the lower left corner.
SEP sesam introduces Si3 target (Si3T) deduplication for Linux, improving your storage efficiency. See Configuring SEP Si3 Deduplication Store for further details or SEP Si3 Deduplication Store for specialized information. It is only supported to configure one SEP sesam Si3 Deduplication data store per SEP sesam Server or SEP sesam RDS.
Since SEP sesam Version 22.214.171.124 Si3 target (Si3T) deduplication for Windows was introduced, improving your storage efficiency. See Configuring SEP Si3 Deduplication Store for further details or SEP Si3 Deduplication Store for specialized information. It is only supported to configure one SEP sesam Si3 Deduplication data store per SEP sesam Server or SEP sesam RDS.
Enhanced recovery for VMWare vSphere
For VMWare vSphere, single item recovery and instant VM recovery is introduced.
- Single Item Restore
- allows you to restore individual items without having to restore the complete saveset. See Single Item Restore for further details.
- Instant VM Recovery
- allows you to start a VM instantly and move it via vMotion. See Instant VM Recovery for further details.
Soft reset CBT
CBT soft reset is included in the virtual machine task definition of the GUI, providing an option to reset the CBT without shutting down the virtual machine. See Reset CBT for further details.
The new SEP sesam installation package already includes the Virtual Disk Development Kit (VDDK) version 5.5.1 for Windows. The VDDK 5.5.1 is packaged as a compressed archive (.zip) for Windows 64-bit OS. If a VDDK is already present on the system to which the SEP sesam software is going to be installed, the previous VDDK version will be uninstalled and the VDDK 5.5.1, included in the SEP sesam package, will be unpacked. See VDDK 5.5.1 for further details.
Data Store configuration
Optionally, positive values can be used to specify watermarks and data store capacity. Note that for Si3T data store only positive values can be defined, while negative values can still be used for non-Si3T data stores. See data store configuration for further details on how to configure a data store.
Data Store space calculation for space check and license check
The calculation of required disk space has been changed. It is possible to store non-sesam data on the same partition where the data store resides. Now, only the sesam data will be counted. For more information how the calculation works see the FAQ: Capacity calculation for data store.
Granularity check for Microsoft Exchange
The enhanced granularity backup level for Microsoft Exchange allows you to set and check the level of retrieved items during backup (Single Items, Mailboxes, or Databases), which may be used as a selection criteria during restore. Note that for the Exchange Server 2013, single item restore is not supported. See Granularity Backup Level for Microsoft Exchange Server for further details.
Microsoft Data Deduplication Enabled Volumes
Data Deduplication enabled volumes are now supported by SEP sesam. The backup of such volumes is done via Nonoptimized Backup and Restore. Client side data on these volumes are backed up with the native size (without deduplication).
HTTPS protocol support
In addition to the standard FTP protocol (2 ports required), HTTP/HTTPS protocol backup/restore is now supported (1 port required). See How to configure a client for further details.
Enhanced Migration Options
- Migration of Migration
- (Migration Task Dialog) allows to migrate previously migrated savesets to a different media pool. See Copy migrated savesets again for further details.
- Deletion after successful Migration
- (Execution Parameter of Migration Task Event Dialog) triggers the deletion of the original saveset after the migration of the saveset was successful. See Delete after successful migration for further details.
End of Maintenance and Support
Obsolete SEP sesam versions
The following product versions are no longer supported:
- SEP sesam 4.0
- SEP sesam 3.6
- SEP sesam 3.4
- SEP sesam 3.0
The support for the following product versions will end soon
- SEP sesam 4.2.1 (December 31st, 2014)
The following operating systems are no longer supported:
NOTE: SLES 11 SP2/SP3 is still supported. The limitation applies only to SEP sesam server systems and does not affect SEP sesam clients. For a complete list of supported SEP sesam clients, see SEP sesam Support Matrix.
The following extensions are no longer supported and cannot be included in a backup:
- Marathon Everrun
Major fixes and changes
- See Changes at SEP sesam 4.4.1