SEP sesam provides free updates from previous versions of SEP sesam to new versions and new features within the maintenance period. You can enable a SEP sesam Server to check for the relevant updates and remotely update your clients by using the CLI command sm_update_client. As of v. 4.4.3 Beefalo, you can also update the GUI client automatically by using SEP sesam GUI.
Updating GUI client by using SEP sesam GUI
As of v. 4.4.3 Beefalo, you can update SEP sesam GUI client automatically by using SEP sesam GUI.
Under the Configuration -> Defaults -> Install/Update tab -> Update mode, select Download and install updates automatically (at Sesam newday) option. Your updates will be automatically downloaded and installed based on SEP sesam NEWDAY, when a new version is available in the SEP Download Center.
If you do not want to install your updates automatically, you can also select under the Update mode to download updates automatically but install manually, or to disable automatic download and installation of updates.
Using sm_update_client for automatic updates
The sm_update_client command is used to automatically update all clients, RDS, and GUI (including a client). The sm_update_client command usesto check for new installation packages available for the configured clients.
The following applies for updating components:
- On Linux, a specific component is always required for an update: a client can be updated using a SEP sesam Client package, updating GUI requires a GUI package, and RDS requires an RDS package.
- On Windows, a client can be updated with any of the three installation packages, updating GUI can be done with either the GUI or SEP sesam Server package, and RDS requires a server package.
The sm_update_client executable is located in the
<SESAM_ROOT>/bin/sesam/, for example c:\Program Files\SEPsesam\bin\sesam\ on Windows. The sm_update_client command is aware of the operating system of the component that needs to be updated and does not perform an update if the available update package is not supported on the respective system. For example, SEP sesam v. 4.4 does not work on Windows XP, therefore this client system will not be updated.
Usage of sm_update_client
The following options are available
Options: -U update clients -c <client name> -C <r|s> client <remote access|sbc connection> check -d download packages only -F force update by same version -L <location> -N <regex> uses only packages matching <regex> -n check available version (no update) -O <os> matches begin of operating system string -u <URL> Use 'URL' instead offile:///<local directory> can be used
- To check which components (CLI/RDS/GUI) can be updated, run the following command:
- Now you can decide whether you want to update all CLI/RDS/GUI components, which were listed as update candidates, or you only want to update a specific component.
First, the list of all available packages, found in the, is displayed. Next, a list of your configured components and their currently installed SEP sesam packages is shown, followed by the available updates for the respective CLI/RDS/GUI.
- To update all listed update candidates, run the following command:
- If you want to update the CLI/RDS/GUI component with the same package as the currently existing one, use the -F switch:
sm_update_client -U -F
- If you want to update only specific CLI/RDS/GUI, use the following command and replace the <client name> with the name of the target CLI/RDS/GUI component. The second line shows the example for updating a client named seagull.
sm_update_client -U -c <client name> sm_update_client -U -c seagull
- All clients in SEP sesam database can be checked and/or updated by using the ALL_CLIENTS syntax. To update all clients, run the following:
sm_update_client -U -c ALL_CLIENTS
- The parameter -O can be used to select specific clients' operating systems. For example, the following command will update all – and only – Windows Server 2008 based systems (R2 included):
sm_update_client -U -c ALL_CLIENTS -O "Windows Server 2008"
Checking the updates
To check if the update was successful, proceed as follows:
- Check the connection between a GUI client and SEP sesam Server. The connection should work.
- Open the SEP sesam GUI and from the menu bar select Help -> About SEP sesam. Both, SEP sesam GUI client and SEP sesam GUI Server must have the same build versions.