Difference between revisions of "4 4 3 Beefalo:Updating SEP sesam"
(Update in progress.)
Revision as of 17:07, 4 December 2019
After you have installed and configured your SEP sesam components according to your environment, SEP sesam provides free updates from previous to new versions and features of SEP sesam within the maintenance period. During this period, you can download bug fixes, patches, service packs, and the latest SEP sesam version(s) if you have a valid license.
Installing either Windows or Linux-specific distributions is pretty straightforward. For Linux systems, SEP provides special service pack executables that ease the installation of service packs and patches; see Applying Service Packs on Linux. SEP sesam software packages can be downloaded from .
There are a number of options available for updating SEP sesam software. You can set your preferred update mode in GUI Install/Update as explained below. Alternatively, you can use the CLI sm_update_client command, as described in Updating SEP sesam Using CLI.
This article provides information on available GUI update options and procedures that were introduced in ≥ 4.4.3 Beefalo. As updating SEP sesam is version-related, some of the update options and procedures may not be available in earlier versions. If you are running a version ≤ 4.4.3 Grolar, see 4 4 3:Updating SEP sesam in earlier versions.
Setting preferred update mode
You can set your Update mode in SEP sesam menu bar -> Configuration -> Defaults -> click the tab Install/Update. By default, SEP sesam does not check, download and install updates.
- Turn off (hide from users)
- If selected, the update feature is not shown in the GUI. No update options are visible for any of the users, not even the administrator until this mode is switched on.
- Do not download or install any updates (default)
- If selected, updates will not be automatically downloaded and installed when a new version is available.
- Download updates automatically, but install manually
- If selected, updates will be automatically downloaded, but you have to install them manually.
- Download and install updates automatically (at Sesam newday)
- If selected, updates will be automatically downloaded and installed based on SEP sesam NEWDAY, when a new version is available in the SEP Download Center.
SEP sesam provides service pack executables that ease the installation of service packs and patches. A service pack is cumulative and contains all released fixes for the corresponding SEP sesam version. To install a service pack, download it from the according to your target operating system (Windows or Linux). Installing on Windows is easy; simply download the executable file for your version of SEP sesam and install it. On Linux, however, you must make the service pack executable after downloading it. For details, see Applying Service Packs on Linux.
Using sm_update_client for automatic updates
The sm_update_client command is used to automatically update all clients, RDS, and GUI (including a client). The sm_update_client command usesto check for new installation packages available for the configured clients.
The following applies for updating components:
- On Linux, a specific component is always required for an update: a client can be updated using a SEP sesam Client package, updating GUI requires a GUI package, and RDS requires an RDS package.
- On Windows, a client can be updated with any of the three installation packages, updating GUI can be done with either the GUI or SEP sesam Server package, and RDS requires a server package.
The sm_update_client executable is located in the
<SESAM_ROOT>/bin/sesam/, for example c:\Program Files\SEPsesam\bin\sesam\ on Windows. The sm_update_client command is aware of the operating system of the component that needs to be updated and does not perform an update if the available update package is not supported on the respective system. For example, SEP sesam v. 4.4 does not work on Windows XP, therefore this client system will not be updated.
To check if the update was successful, proceed as follows:
- Check the connection between a GUI client and SEP sesam Server. The connection should work.
- Open the SEP sesam GUI and from the menu bar select Help -> About SEP sesam. Both, SEP sesam GUI client and SEP sesam GUI Server must have the same build versions.