Difference between revisions of "4 4 3 Beefalo:JIRA Database Configuration Backup"
(Draft for JIRA database configuration backup.)
Revision as of 13:11, 30 June 2020
In cooperation with catWorkX, SEP sesam has developed a reliable backup and restore solution for JIRA, the issue tracking and project management system by Atlassian. catWorkX SEP sesam integration JIRA backup add-on in combination with SEP sesam software provide a simple way for backing up JIRA database configuration.
Generally, there are two main approaches for backing up JIRA. The first one is to back up your database configuration in which JIRA information is stored (file dbconfig.xml). Note that database configuration does not include attachments and plugins. The second one is to prepare for a disaster recovery of your JIRA instance. This consists of backing up your JIRA installation and data directory, which contains application data for your JIRA instance, including attachments. The second approach is more complex, since it includes more backup modules and requires configuration of more backup tasks for complete backup of JIRA instance. For details, see Preparing for JIRA Disaster Recovery .
To back up JIRA database configuration, you have to install and configure a CatworkX Atlassian JIRA backup module and SEP sesam software, and then create a backup task. Restoring JIRA database configuration is simple and straightforward, following standard restore procedure. For details, see JIRA Database Configuration Restore.
To ensure error-free operation of SEP sesam and improve performance, make sure that the following conditions are met:
- Check the support matrix for the list of supported JIRA versions.
- SEP sesam Server and Client v. ≥ 4.4.3 Beefalo. Check Hardware requirements for SEP sesam Server, RDS and SEP sesam Client.
- Installed and configured CatworkX Atlassian JIRA backup module.
- JIRA admin user name and password.
Configuring JIRA database configuration backup
To prepare JIRA for backup, you first need to install and configure a CatworkX Atlassian JIRA backup module, and then configure a backup in the SEP sesam GUI. During the backup, a dump file of the project definition is created and backed up using the SEP sesam Client.
Installing JIRA backup module add-on
- In your JIRA instance, log in as JIRA admin and switch to the system configuration menu.
- Select Plugins -> Manage Add-ons from menu or search the Atlassian marketplace for the catWorkX SEP sesam integration JIRA backup add-on, and install it.
- Enter your license key. The plugin is ready to use.
- Set up an administrative user in the add-on options. Note that the same user name and password must also be configured in SEP sesam.
Configuring backup in the SEP sesam GUI
To back up your data, you have to create a JIRA-specific backup task (select the data to be backed up), then set up a backup schedule (specify when you want to back up your data), and link a backup event to it (select where to back your data to and how). For general details on how to configure a backup and its prerequisites, see Standard Backup Procedure. However, creating a backup task differs from a standard procedure and requires some JIRA-specific steps, which are described below.
- From Main Selection -> Tasks -> By Clients, select your client and click New Backup Task. The New Backup Task window opens.
- Enter the Task name. Give your task a meaningful descriptive name (max. 15 letters), e.g., jira_backup.
- From the Task type drop-down list, select JIRA.
- Specify the Source, which is in JIRA's case the URL to the JIRA instance (in our example, localhost).
- Click the Options tab and optionally, enter additional JIRA options for backup in the Backup options (previously Save options) field.
- Then switch to the JIRA tab and enter the same user name (account) and password that you have specified during JIRA backup module add-on installation.
- If you want to start the newly created task immediately, right-click the name of the task and click Immediate Start. If you want to create a periodic backup, you have to create a schedule for your backup task: Click New Schedule under Main Selection -> Scheduling -> Schedules and set up a schedule. For more details, see Creating a Schedule.
- Once you have configured a schedule, you must create a new backup event for it. For details, see Creating a Backup Event.
The following special options are available:
Common backup and restore options: -a jira_user=username - specify JIRA login user name -a jira_password=password - specify JIRA login password -a jira_path=/path/ - specify path to JIRA data directory Backup options: -a nodelete - skip removing created dump file after backup -a nocheck - skip checking created dump file for contents Restore options: -a noimport - skip import after restore Browse options: -D - check for JIRA installation (process list)
Click OK to create the task.
|You can also add your backup task to an existing schedule by double-clicking the backup task, selecting the tab Schedules and adding it to one or more schedules.|
You can view the status of your backup jobs in the SEP sesam GUI -> Main Selection -> Last Backup State. The backup status overview provides detailed information on the last run of backup jobs, including the task name, start and stop time of the last backup, backup level, data size, throughput, assigned media pool, etc.