Tape and Tape Devices Troubleshooting
Copyright © SEP AG 1999-2020. All rights reserved.
Any form of reproduction of the contents or parts of this manual is allowed only with the express written permission from SEP AG. When compiling and designing user documentation SEP AG uses great diligence and attempts to deliver accurate and correct information. However, SEP AG cannot issue a guarantee for the contents of this manual.
Tape and tape devices issues
Problem with tape drives
- There are problems with LTO tape drives which repeatedly request cleaning tape. Additionally, backups fail with I/O errors.
There are two possible causes for this:
- SEP sesam has problems communicating properly with tape devices if hardware vendor's tape diagnostic tools are still installed after the tape read/write diagnostic test is successful. To stop the tape drives from repeatedly issuing the cleaning request and ensure that backups successfully complete, remove the tape diagnostic tools immediately after the diagnostic tests are complete. For example, there are some problems with different tape drives LTO5 and LTO7. In our example, you will disable or remove the following components:
- Disable HPE Version Control Agent.
- Disable all tape agents for HPE Insight Management Agents as shown below.
- Uninstall HP Library and Tape Tools (L&TT) from your server by using the Add/Remove Program in the Window's Control Panel.
- Similar issues may be caused by common hardware-related problems. Refer to your hardware vendor documentation for details about hardware configuration and troubleshooting.