Setting up Archive Adjustment
Archive adjustment is used to make a comparison between media in the loader (tape library) and the SEP sesam media archive database, and performs a database synchronization with the selected loader by updating the database with the most current inventory information from the scanned device.
Archive adjustment is mandatory whenever the contents of your loader has changed. Typically, you need to run archive adjustment whenever new media or used media that have not yet been registered (initialized) by SEP sesam are inserted to identify unrecognized tapes.
You can perform archive adjustment for a whole tape library or run the job against selected tapes only by specifying the selected segment (see Slot range below).
Make sure that your loaders are properly configured. If you want to use the command line to run archive adjustment, the task must include the name of the target autoloader or tape device. You should check your storage device configuration, as described in Configuring Loaders and Drives.
- From Main Selection -> Components -> Loaders, select the relevant loader and click Archive Adjustment. Make sure that the target device (the loader which you want to scan) is at the top of the adjustment task.
- In the Archive Adjustment window, specify the required fields:
- Media pool: Select a media pool where you want to perform the archive adjustment. Make sure that you use this together with Automatic introduction enabled.
- Storagepool: Optionally, select this option, if you use an old and not recommended virtual tape library emulation from SEP sesam.
- Drive (opt.): Optionally, select a drive.
- Slot range: You can limit synchronization to the specified loader segment by entering the number of the first and last slot.
- Automatic introduction: Select this option to automatically add unknown media (without SEP sesam label) from the tape library to the specified media pool. Required settings:
- Select the relevant tape type by choosing it from the Tape type drop-down list.
- Select the preferred way for Handling of unknown SEP sesam media.
Selecting Automatic introduction will overwrite all tape media which do not have a SEP sesam tape label stored on the tape. However, for tape media with existing SEP sesam label, the following applies:
Note that tape media from competitive manufacturer are not recognized and will be overwritten.
- If the label is already stored in the SEP sesam DB (media table), the tape remains untouched.
- If the SEP sesam tape label is unknown, the tape handling depends on the following options:
- By default, Accept without initialization is enabled. With this option enabled, if a tape with unknown SEP sesam label (which is not in the SEP sesam DB) is retrieved, for example, a tape from another SEP sesam Server, it will be automatically inserted. Note that such tapes are simply added to the SEP sesam DB without providing any metainformation about their content.
- If you select Overwrite, a tape with unknown SEP sesam label (which is not in the SEP sesam DB) is initialized and added to the selected media pool.
- Check label on tape: Optionally, enable this if you want to scan the tape labels; every tape label is re-read and verified, while the barcode information is ignored.
- Adjustment by barcode only: Optionally, select this if you want SEP sesam to check the barcodes of all tapes which are not in drives. This enables you to adjust the archive while the drives are in use. SEP sesam scans only the tapes which are in slots, while the tapes in the drives are not scanned.
- Click Start.
Your archive adjustment starts immediately. SEP sesam will unload all drives for archive adjustment. If a drive is in use, for example, for backup or restore, archive adjustment will start when the drives are no longer used by another process.
You can also set up a special media event for archive adjustment and schedule it to run automatically, as described in the following section.
Alternatively, you can use a command event for setting up automatic archive adjustment. For details, see How to set up automatic archive adjustment.
Adding SEP sesam labeled tapes to a new or a different media pool
If you want to use already labeled tapes in a new or a different media pool, proceed as follows:
- From Main Selection -> Components -> Media, double-click the relevant media and click Delete Media. Note that all metadata from the tape is deleted and the tape entry is removed from the media table.
- Start archive adjustment by using the option Automatic introduction together with Overwrite (see above steps). The tapes are initialized again with a new label for the selected media pool.
|By overwriting the existing label, all data on the tape is deleted.|
Creating a media event for archive adjustment
By creating a special media event for archive adjustment, you can schedule it to run automatically in specified intervals or set up an archive adjustment template which you can use to start it interactively.
- From Main Selection -> Scheduling -> Schedules, select the schedule to which you want to link the event, select New and then New Media Event. A schedule is opened with a new tab Parameter.
- Under the Media action, select Archive adjustment.
- Under Parameter, specify the relevant options for archive adjustment (Loader, Media Pool, Drive, etc.), as described above.
- You can start archive adjustment immediately, from Activities -> Immediate Start -> Media Action. For details, see Immediate start of a media action.