Release Notes 4.4.3 Beefalo
Copyright © SEP AG 1999-2019. All rights reserved.
Any form of reproduction of the contents or parts of this manual is allowed only with the express written permission from SEP AG. When compiling and designing user documentation SEP AG uses great diligence and attempts to deliver accurate and correct information. However, SEP AG cannot issue a guarantee for the contents of this manual.
- 1 What's new in SEP sesam 4.4.3 Beefalo
- 2 Known issues and limitations
- 3 Enhancements and changes
- 3.1 HPE StoreOnce Catalyst stores
- 3.2 IBM Domino
- 3.3 Proxmox VE
- 3.4 VMware sandbox restore
- 3.5 Hyper-V
- 3.6 Citrix XenServer single file restore
- 3.7 RPM packages
- 3.8 Configuration of LDAP/AD authentication
- 3.9 EOL-related improvements
- 3.10 HiDPI display
- 3.11 Automatic updates of GUI Server
- 3.12 GUI enhancements
- 3.13 Encryption support matrix
- 4 End of maintenance and support
- 5 Major fixes and changes
- 6 See also
What's new in SEP sesam 4.4.3 Beefalo
SEP sesam new release, solid and reliable Beefalo, provides exciting new features and enhancements to many of the existing modules that help you improve and manage your SEP sesam environment.
Features at glance
New data store type is available for Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) StoreOnce Catalyst Stores which are used as backup storage. SEP sesam integrates with StoreOnce Catalyst client to provide high-performance backup and restore.
SEP sesam expands support for virtualization environments and introduces new features for the already supported ones:
- New: Proxmox VE backup and restore
- Enhanced backup and restore for existing virtualization platforms, e.g., VMware sandbox restore is supported to easily verify backup integrity
- Single file restore from INCR backups is introduced for Hyper-V
- Single file restore is supported for Citrix XenServer backups
DIFF and INCR backup level for IBM Domino (previously Lotus Domino) has changed compared to previous SEP sesam versions; DIFF now saves all IBM Domino files that have been changed from the last FULL or DIFF backup including new DBIID, and INCR saves all relevant transaction logs, all new IBM Domino files and IBM Domino files with new DBIID.
A repository with signed RPM packages is provided to ease the installation on SLES and Red Hat.
Configuration of LDAP/AD authentication has been enhanced.
EOL behavior is improved compared to the previous versions and now allows for extending retention period of the referenced savesets on other media pools (not only on the target media pool) thus increasing retention period of migrated savesets only.
In order to improve usability, SEP sesam GUI is redesigned to be more user-friendly and more appealing without significantly changing the interface logic and affecting existing functions.
- To make sure you are running the latest SEP sesam version, SEP sesam GUI Server can be automatically updated when a new version is available in the SEP Download Center by selecting the Download and install updates automatically in the newly introduced Install/Update configuration options.
- The new GUI has been enhanced with new features, e.g., finding a specific content item (task, client, data store ...) is made easy with integrated filtering.
With the new Oracle Java licensing and release strategy, SEP sesam introduces support for OpenJDK LTS (long term support) distributions that are available free of charge. With the relevant Java version, now also HiDPI displays are supported.
New Encryption support matrix provides detailed overview of supported encryption types with Beefalo.
New supported systems
SEP sesam Server 4.4.3 Beefalo now also supports the following systems:
- RHEL 8
- Debian Buster
- Windows Server 2019
- Oracle Linux 8
- Hyper-V Server 2019
For a complete list of supported OS and databases, see SEP sesam Support Matrix.
As of v. 4.4.3 Beefalo, the following operating systems are no longer supported for update:
- RHEL 6
- SLES 11
- Debian Jessie
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- All Windows operating systems with x86 architecture (32-bit)
|Currently it is not possible to upgrade IBM Domino (Lotus Notes) on Linux to version 220.127.116.11 Beefalo. Last version with IBM Domino support is 18.104.22.168 SLES11.|
SEP sesam Server requirements
- Java 11 or OpenJDK 11 LTS
- For details, see Java Compatibility Matrix.
Installation and upgrades
SEP sesam 4.4.3 Beefalo beta 1 was released on 17th of Jun, 2019. Direct upgrade for versions 4.4.3.X to version 4.4.3 Beefalo is supported.
Latest released versions are:
- SEP sesam 22.214.171.124 Linux – early released: 25th of July, 2019.
- SEP sesam 126.96.36.199 Windows – early released: 25th of July, 2019.
The 4.4.3 Beefalo installation package on Windows also includes:
SEP sesam Server and Client components should be upgraded to the latest version during the upgrade process. This ensures that SEP sesam Clients are fully protected. Customers with a valid license are eligible for a free upgrade of SEP sesam to any new release for the duration of the license. See also Automatic Updates and Automatic Installation on Windows.
Known issues and limitations
|Antivirus programs may disrupt network communication and cause SEP sesam processes, such as backup and replication, to fail. One program that is known to cause SEP sesam processes to terminate is Sophos Firewall with IPS (Intrusion Prevention System) enabled. Make sure that there are no antivirus, firewall, IDS or IPS programs preventing interaction with SEP sesam.|
|4.4.3 Beefalo known issues:|
Enhancements and changes
HPE StoreOnce Catalyst stores
The Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) StoreOnce backup appliance allows you to configure more Catalyst stores which can be used as a backup storage. HPE StoreOnce fully controls the backup data and enables efficent encryption, deduplication, replication, and recovery. For details, see HPE StoreOnce Configuration, HPE StoreOnce Backup, HPE StoreOnce Restore and Saving Encryption Key Store for HPE StoreOnce Catalyst.
Lotus Domino has been rebranded as IBM Domino. DIFF and INCR backup levels are enhanced to simplify backup configuration for differential and incremental backups, as described in IBM Domino Server Backup. In previous SEP sesam versions, only the databases which were open were backed up with temporary copy (and applying recent changes), however with version 4.4.3 Beefalo all databases are backed up with temporary copy which may affect backup performance. Additionally, processing backups on Linux differs slightly from processing on Windows where two concurrent threads are introduced with version 4.4.3 Beefalo.
SEP sesam provides efficient data protection for Proxmox VE, an open-source server virtualization environment that supports a variety of guest operating systems as well as a variety of storage devices, allowing you to back up your Proxmox VE to any virtual machine-supported storage. You can use the integrated Si3 target deduplication for Proxmox backups and benefit from reduced disk capacity and increased overall storage performance. For details, see Proxmox VE Backup and Proxmox VE Restore.
VMware sandbox restore
SEP sesam introduces support for the VMware sandbox restore (SBR). SEP sesam sandbox for VMware is an isolated environment where you can recover and start one or several virtual machines (VMs). It is useful for verifying the VM backups, performing a training, troubleshooting issues, etc. For details, see VMware Sandbox Restore.
Single file restore
Item-level restore of files and folders can now also be performed from an INCR backup of Hyper-V virtual machine by mounting VHD or VHDX on a device server and browsing the content of a virtual disk file. For details, see Hyper-V single file restore.
Start virtual machine after restore
Automatically starting a virtual machine directly after it has been restored can now be performed from a Hyper-V backup. For details, see Hyper-V Restore.
Citrix XenServer single file restore
Now you can restore single files from the FULL, DIFF or INCR Citrix XenServer backup if the saveset is stored on a data store or Si3 deduplication store. For more information, see Citrix XenServer single file restore.
SEP sesam provides RPM packages for installation on SLES and RedHat. Now you can use distributions package manager (zypper, yum) to ease installation and validation of the packages via signatures. For details, see RPM Repository.
Configuration of LDAP/AD authentication
Configuration of LDAP/AD authentication has been slightly remodeled; configuration windows are redesigned, options are renamed and some options are only visible if UI mode is set to Expert. For details, see Configuring LDAP/AD Authentication.
Improved handling of modified backup EOL
Modifying the backup EOL – retention time for all data that belongs to the same backup – now results in expected behavior of the changed retention setting being applied to only individual savesets based on the same backup as follows:
- If you are extending the backup EOL (expiration date), the EOL is now adjusted only for the saveset that already has the longest EOL, while EOL of other backups is not affected. This behavior has changed compared to the previous versions, where extended backup EOL resulted in extended EOL for all save sets based on the same backup, i.e., original backup, migrated backup, replicated backup, as well as for all backups in a backup chain, if a save set with adjusted backup EOL was part of it.
- If you are reducing the backup EOL, it is now adjusted only for the savesets with EOL longer than the newly given EOL, while the savesets with the shorter EOL are not affected; their EOL remains unchanged. For details, see automated EOL adjustment.
Allowed extending retention period of another media pool for migrated savesets
It is now possible for migration to increase EOL of the referenced savesets on other media pools too, not only on the target media pool. This is achieved by adding the following key to global settings in GUI: eol_adjust_migration_on_other_pool|1|sesam. For details, see Managing EOL.
Now HiDPI displays are supported. These screens with a high resolution in a relatively small format (e.g., high-end laptops and monitors) provide a very clean and crisp display, however, the HiDPI mode may not be supported by all user interfaces, browsers and other accompanying software. Therefore, SEP sesam v. ≥ 4.4.3 Beefalo user interface might not be appropriately displayed and you may need to adjust your environment for SEP sesam HiDPI display. For details, see HiDPI Display Support.
Automatic updates of GUI Server
SEP sesam GUI Server can be set to automatically update when a new version is available at SEP Download Center. Automatic updates can be enabled from the SEP sesam menu bar -> Configuration -> Defaults -> tab Install/Update -> Update mode. For details, see Configuration: GUI update.
In addition to GUI redesign and improved functionality with integrated filtering, GUI enhancements enable you to update the clients, change the view mode, check a trace log for finished backups and restores, set additional notification options, etc.
- SEP sesam provides additional View Mode button that enables you to switch between the table and tree view easily. It is also possible to group the same backup tasks states in one item. For details, see View Mode.
- New Trace Log tab is introduced in the properties of a finished backup or restore which records detailed information about the backup or restore process depending on the configured log level. For details, see Trace Log.
Encryption support matrix
New encryption matrix shows supported encryption types according to the operating system and task type. If the backups are performed externally by another utility, SEP sesam encryption is replaced by external encyption, done outside SEP sesam. For more information, see Encryption Support Matrix.
End of maintenance and support
Obsolete SEP sesam Server version
No changes since SEP sesam version 4.4.3 Grolar.
Discountinued SEP sesam Server OS
The following table lists the last supported version of SEP sesam for specified operating systems. You can continue using the last supported version of SEP sesam on these operating systems, but SEP AG no longer provides updates or fixes for the specified versions.
|Operating system||Last supported version||Release||Notes|
|RHEL 6||188.8.131.52||4.4.3 Grolar|
|SLES 11 SP2, SP3, SP4||184.108.40.206||4.4.3 Grolar|
|Debian 8 »Jessie«||220.127.116.11||4.4.3 Grolar|
|Debian 7 »Wheezy«||18.104.22.168||4.4.3 Grolar||Version 22.214.171.124 only available for sesam-cli on amd64|
|Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1||126.96.36.199||4.4.3 Grolar|
|Windows Server 2008||188.8.131.52||4.4.3 Tigon V2|
|Ubuntu 14.04||184.108.40.206||4.4.3 Tigon V2|
|All 32-bit operating systems||220.127.116.11||4.2.2|
|Debian 6 »Squeeze«||18.104.22.168||4.2.2||sesam-cli also available in version 22.214.171.124|
|Windows Server 2003||126.96.36.199||4.2.2|
|Debian 5 »Lenny«||188.8.131.52||4.2.1|
|SLES 11, SLES 11 SP1||184.108.40.206||4.2.1|
For a complete list of supported SEP sesam clients, see SEP sesam Support Matrix.
Major fixes and changes
- See changes at SEP sesam download – changes.