Java Compatibility Matrix
Supported Java versions
The SEP sesam GUI is platform independent – it is based on Java and requires a Java Runtime Environment (JRE). The required Java version depends on the SEP sesam version.
Java is required on all systems that serve as SEP sesam Server, SEP sesam GUI client or SEP sesam Remote Device Server (RDS) when Si3 deduplication is used.
Java is not required for SEP sesam Client (does not provide GUI) or SEP sesam RDS if Si3 deduplication is not used.
- Supported Java editions are: Oracle/Sun Java and OpenJDK LTS.
- You can download Oracle Java at Java downloads for all operating systems.
- On Windows systems, you can use JAVA verify to check which Java version is installed.
- OpenJDK LTS is provided by the respective Linux distribution.
- You can download OpenJDK LTS Java at OpenJDK LTS Download.
Public updates for Java SE 8 are no longer available without a commercial license. Also, as of JDK 11, the Oracle JDK binary is no longer free for production use, but only with a support contract. For details, see Oracle Java SE Support Roadmap.
You can use a free OpenJDK LTS version instead of Oracle Java. You can easily install OpenJDK on Linux or Windows, as described in SEP sesam Quick Install Guide.
The following table shows the compatibility between Java and SEP sesam versions.
|Java version||SEP sesam version|
|Java 17||on demand Note1|
|OpenJDK 11 LTS||4.4.3 Beefalo, 5.0.0 Jaglion, 188.8.131.52 Jaglion V2 Note2|
|Java 11||4.4.3 Beefalo, 5.0.0 Jaglion, 184.108.40.206 Jaglion V2 Note2|
Java 10 is not supported!
Java 9 is not supported!
|Java 8 ≥ patch level 111 (both Windows and Linux)||4.4.3 Grolar; 4.4.3 Beefalo, 5.0.0 Jaglion, 220.127.116.11 Jaglion V2 Note2|
|Java 8 (at least patch level 111) ≥ JRE 1.8.0_111 (required for Linux)||v. ≥ 4.4.3 Tigon V2|
|Java 8 (required for Windows)||v. ≥ 4.4.3|
|Java 7 (all OS except Windows)||4.4.3 Note3|
|Java 6||4.2.1 & 4.2.2|
- SEP sesam 18.104.22.168 Jaglion V2, including SP1, supports Java 17 only on demand, if the use of Java 17 from the command line has been enabled with
sm_setup set_java_path -f <java_17_installation_path>
- Java 1.8 (≥ 1.8.0_111) is only accepted if it is already installed and the computer does not have a 4K display.
- 22.214.171.124 Jaglion V2 is the last version of SEP sesam that supports Java 1.8.
SEP sesam versions 4.4.3 until 4.4.3 Tigon V1 running on non-Windows platform require Java 7, however, SEP sesam uses JavaFX for its web dashboard and user-defined schedules features. If you want to have all the 4.4.3 features available, you need OpenJFX package or Oracle®'s Java 8 (already includes JavaFX) on your SEP sesam GUI client.