Copyright © SEP AG 1999-2023. All rights reserved.
Any form of reproduction of the contents or parts of this manual is allowed only with the express written permission from SEP AG. When compiling and designing user documentation SEP AG uses great diligence and attempts to deliver accurate and correct information. However, SEP AG cannot issue a guarantee for the contents of this manual.
Graphical User Interface (GUI) problems
After updating SEP sesam on Windows, GUI cannot be opened
- After updating SEP sesam to version ≥ 188.8.131.52 Beefalo V2 on Windows, GUI cannot be opened when the group policy option Prevent access to registry editing tools is applied.
- This issue seems to be related to the group policy (GPO) setting: if Prevent access to registry editing tools is applied for a specific user or group, opening the GUI does not work for the users which are prevented from accessing the Registry. In most cases, users with admin privileges will still be able to run the GUI as they are typically exempt for a GPO (and are able to access the Registry). If this policy is disabled (or not configured), the users may access the GUI regardless of their privileges.
- To enable access to the GUI for the affected users (typically non-admin users), disable the group policy option Prevent access to registry editing tools.
|Only experts should edit the registry; modifying Windows Registry incorrectly might crash your Windows operating system causing data loss.|
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run window.
- Type gpedit.msc and press Enter.
- In the Group Policy Editor -> User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System, double-click on Prevent access to registry editing tools setting in the right panel and select Disable. Then click Apply.
GUI Server not accessible
- SEP sesam cannot access the GUI Server.
- The network connection to SEP sesam is broken.
- The GUI Server process is not running.
- Make sure that the computer is running.
- Start the GUI server process by running the command sm main reload rmi.
Database connection failure
- SEP sesam cannot connect to the database.
- The DB or RMI servers are not running.
- Run the commands sm main reload db or sm main reload rmi to restart the servers.
GUI does not start
- The Graphical User Interface (GUI) fails to start.
- There is a problem with Java rights.
- The entry for the computer in sm java.policy is missing. For example:
// NET permission java.net.SocketPermission "'mypcname:*"', "'connect,accept,resolve"';
- A problem with the screen resolution.
- In case of the screen resolution problem, set a resolution to at least 1920x1080 (full HD).
Cannot read or write to the working directory
- There is a problem with reading or writing to the working directory.
- The entry for the working directory in sm java.policy is missing.
- Windows example
// FILE permission java.io.FilePermission "'D:nsesamnvarn-"', "'read,write"';
- Linux/Unix/Tru64 example
// FILE permission java.io.FilePermission "'/sesam/var/-"', "'read,write"';
Online guide not available
- The online guide cannot be accessed.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader is not installed.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader is installed but not configured in the GUI.
- The PDF file is not configured in the GUI.
- Download Adobe Acrobat Reader from http://www.adobe.com.
Online help not available
- The online help cannot be accessed.
- There is no browser installed on the system.
- The browser is installed but not configured in the GUI.
- The HTML help file is not configured in the GUI.
- Install a browser.