5 1 0:Creating a Media Event
A media event can be a user-defined event or an internal event created by SEP sesam. For example, if the specified media are unavailable at the start of a backup or if the end of media (EOM) is reached during data transfer, SEP sesam creates an internal media event which determines the next media for the backup. If no other media events are conﬁgured in the schedule, only internal media events are executed.
A user-defined media event is configured by using GUI and automatically activated by SEPuler. The following media events can be configured:
- A process of preparing backup media for use with SEP sesam. If a medium meets the requirements (e.g., its EOL has expired and it is not write-protected – locked), it can be initialized, deleting all data contained on it and preparing it for use again. During initializing, SEP sesam assigns a new tape label for formatted media and deletes all existing content on these media. At the same time, it deletes all information about old backups from the SEP sesam system.
- readability check
- A process that checks the backup data readability. During the check the data on medium is read in blocks, and the structure of tape is checked and recorded. It also checks whether all determined backup sets on the tape are recorded in the database and vice versa. For details, see Configuring a Readability Check.
- close tape
- A process that marks the tape as full by defining EOM and closing the tape, regardless whether the tape is really full or not. Such a tape can no longer be used for storing the data.
- archive adjustment
- A process that scans media in selected loader to update SEP sesam information about the media in the loader. It is required if the media in the loader have changed, for example if new media are added. For details, see Setting up Archive Adjustment.
|You can configure a media event only with a schedule that does not have any backup events configured.|
- In the Main Selection -> Scheduling -> Schedules, select the schedule to which you want to link the event, right-click it or select New and then New Media Event. A schedule is opened with a new tab Parameter.
- Under the Sequence control, set up the Priority of your media event. SEPuler always executes the schedules with higher priority first. Default priority level is 1, which is the lowest priority (the highest is 99). The only exception are the schedules with priority 0, which override all other priorities and are always executed. For details, see Setting Event Priorities. You can also enable the Blocking date. This option should be used together with high priority for special events. If checked, the blocking event will block events of the same type of a lower priority, ensuring the backup to be processed in case other backups are scheduled at the same time. For details, see Blocking Events.
- Under the Media action, select the type of event you want to create. You can select among the following: Initialize, Readability check, Archive adjustment and Close tape.
- Depending on previously chosen media event, some or all of the following options may be available.
For options Initialize, Readability check, Close tape:
- Media pool: Select the media pool for your event.
- Drive: Optionally, select a drive.
- Media: Optionally, select media for the event.
- Media pool: Select the media pool where you want to perform the archive adjustment. Note that all media are shown regardless of the pool selected.
- Drive: Optionally, select a drive.
- Loader: Select the loader (tape library) for which you want to synchronize its contents with the SEP sesam database.
- First slot and Last slot: You can limit synchronization to the specified loader parts by entering the number of the first and last slot.
- Automatic introduction: Optionally, you can select that any unknown media (without SEP sesam label) found in the tape library is automatically added to the specified media pool. If selected, specify also the Tape type option by choosing the media type for automatic new media entry from the drop-down list.
- If you have selected Automatic introduction, under the Handling of unknown SEP sesam media, select one of the following options:
Overwrite option will overwrite all media entered to the target media pool that are not recognized by the SEP sesam Server and assign a new media pool label to them.
Accept without initialization enables SEP sesam to enter other SEP sesam media, e.g., from another SEP sesam Server, into the target media pool.
- Check label on tape: Optionally, enable this if you want to scan the tape labels; every tape label is re-read and verified, while the barcode information is ignored.
- Adjustment by barcode only: Optionally, select this if you want SEP sesam to check the barcodes of all tapes which are not in drives. This enables you to adjust the archive while the drives are in use. SEP sesam scans only the tapes which are in slots, while the tapes in the drives are not scanned.
Monitoring media events
You can view the status of your media actions in the SEP sesam Web UI (Monitoring -> Media Actions). The media actions overview provides detailed information about the last run of media actions for all types of media actions, and includes information on the state of the media action, start and stop time, client, data store, assigned media pool, drive, media, etc.
About Scheduling – Creating Follow-up Events – Media Strategy – Setting up Archive Adjustment – Configuring a Readability Check – Tape Management