5 0 0:OLVM Configuration
This article describes the requirements and configuration steps for SEP sesam integration with OLVM environments. Note that the procedures presented in this article are the required configuration steps for setting up OLVM SEP sesam integration. For details on OLVM key features and backup configuration, see OLVM Backup.
SEP sesam provides support for oVirt-based platforms within Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager (OLVM). So, to back up and restore virtual machines running on OLVM, you need to configure an OLVM VM client that acts as a data mover for backups.
To ensure error-free operation of SEP sesam and improve performance, make sure that the following conditions are met:
- Check the OLVM support matrix for a list of supported OLVM versions.
- Configured OLVM data mover. Only Red Hat Enterprise Linux version ≥ 7 can be used as a data mover for backups and restores. For details, see the section Configuring OLVM client as data mover.
- SEP sesam Server ≥ v. 5.0.0 Jaglion. Check hardware requirements for SEP sesam Server, RDS or SEP sesam Client.
- Working name resolution for OLVM nodes and OLVM resource (OLVM Manager).
- The user account used for backups and restores must have administrative rights for OLVM Manager.
- It is strongly recommended to install the Qemu Guest Agent on virtual machines that are backed up to ensure file system consistency during snapshot creation. For more information, see the Red Hat documentation Installing Guest Agents and Drivers: Red Hat Virtualization Guest agents and tools.
Installing SEP sesam Client on VM
Install a SEP sesam Client on a virtual machine running supported Red Hat version, as described in Installing RHEL/CentOS-based distributions. Before installing the selected SEP sesam component, make sure that you have correctly configured the RPM repository for RHEL-based distributions. For details, see RPM Repository.
Configuring the OLVM environment
After you install a SEP sesam Client in an OLVM environment, proceed as follows:
- Prepare SEP sesam Server.
- Configure the OLVM SEP sesam Client as a data mover.
- Configure the OLVM Manager as SEP sesam Client.
Preparing SEP sesam Server
To prepare the SEP sesam Server, log in via SSH as the root user and enter the following command at the command prompt to set the SEP sesam profile:
Configuring OLVM client as a data mover
A SEP sesam data mover is required to perform a SEP sesam backup and restore in an OLVM environment. The data mover must match the version of your SEP sesam Server. This means that you need to update the data mover to the same version as your SEP sesam Server every time you update the server.
To ensure efficient data protection and restorability of your data, check the above requirements for OLVM data mover and configure your OLVM client that will serve as a data mover with a fully qualified domain name (FQDN). This step should be performed before adding your OLVM data mover as a client to the SEP sesam environment.
Open SEP sesam GUI and add an OLVM VM with installed SEP sesam Client to the SEP sesam environment. This client acts as a data mover for backups.
- Under Main Selection -> Components -> Topology, select the appropriate location (e.g., Virtualization/OLVM) and click New Client. The New Client window opens.
- Enter the client name.
- If not already set, select Linux from the Platform drop-down list. By selecting the Linux platform the Linux operating system is set automatically.
- Click OK to add it as a client.
|The OLVM VM name for the data mover must match the host name of the SEP sesam Client.|
To verify that your data mover is configured correctly, proceed as follows:
- From the Main selection -> Components -> Clients, double-click your data mover for OLVM.
- Check the Interfaces field: Make sure that a fully qualified domain name (FQDN) is specified for your client. If the FQDN is not yet specified, enter it on a new line and click OK to apply the changes.
- Ensure that the FQDN is resolvable by using the sm_setup tool from the command line. For syntax details, see Using sm_setup check_resolution. The returned addresses and hostnames must match. If the reverse resolve returns a different name than the name specified on the command line, there will be problems with backing up the client.
- A regular path backup has to work. For details on the typical backup configuration, see Standard Backup Procedure.
Configuring OLVM as a SEP sesam Client
After configuring OLVM client as a data mover, add your Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager (OLVM) as a client to the SEP sesam environment.
|It is not mandatory to install a SEP sesam Client on the OLVM Manager.|
This section contains version-specific steps that you should follow.
- From Main Selection -> Components -> Topology, select the appropriate location (e.g., Virtualization/OLVM) and click New Client. The New Client window is displayed.
- Enter the name of the OLVM.
- From the Platform drop-down list, select Linux. By selecting the Platform the Operating system - Linux is set automatically.
- First select the Virtualization server option. Then from the VM server type drop-down list, select Oracle-VM Server.
- Change the Access Mode from SMSSH to PROXY.
- Switch to the Oracle-VM Access tab, enter the credentials for OLVM (user name, i.e., admin@internal and password) and select the OLVM data mover that you created before.
What is next?
If you have problems, check the Troubleshooting Guide.
Configuring Clients – OLVM Restore – Installing Guest Agents and Drivers: Red Hat Virtualization Guest agents and tools