4 4 3 Beefalo:Remote Installation of Windows Clients
This article describes SEP sesam remote installation for Windows. This feature is not provided for Linux. For installing Linux, see SEP sesam Quick Install Guide for Linux. For installing SEP sesam remotely by using CLI, see Updating SEP sesam Using CLI.
As of Beefalo V2, you can remotely install any SEP sesam package (Client, RDS, etc.) from your SEP sesam Windows Server to any Windows system by using SEP sesam GUI (once your Windows clients are added to SEP sesam environment). You may prefer to use a command line to install SEP sesam remotely. In this case, use the sm_update_client install command as described in Updating SEP sesam Using CLI as the previously used sm_remote_install command is now deprecated.
Step 1: Enable Update mode
After you have installed SEP sesam Windows Server, you can install any SEP sesam package on your Windows clients (Client, RDS, etc.) by using SEP sesam GUI Topology or Clients view. The displayed status details and the options available from the right-click menu in the Topology or Clients view depend on the selected Update mode option. The Install SEP sesam option is only available if your update mode is set up to enable the install/update feature.
By default, SEP sesam does not check, download and install updates. You can change your update mode in SEP sesam menu bar -> Configuration -> Defaults -> click the tab Install/Update and select one of the modes that enable the automatic check function. For details, see Setting preferred update mode.
Step 2: Install SEP sesam remotely
- Once you have set the update mode that allows SEP sesam to check for installation and update packages, from Main Selection -> Topology or Clients right-click your selected location to perform mass install or right-click the selected Windows client to perform individual installation, then select Install SEP sesam.
- A new window opens where you have to specify the following:
- User: Specify the name of the domain or local admin user account that has installation and backup rights; the latter are required when using the option Run SEP sesam service as given user (see below).
- Password: Enter the password for the specified local or domain administrator account.
- Sesam package: Choose the package that you want to install: SEP sesam Client, SEP sesam Remote Device (RDS), or SEP sesam GUI. For each package, you can select to install additional extensions or features by selecting the relevant check box below: install SEP sesam Client with BSR, SEP sesam RDS with BSR and/or GUI, and SEP sesam GUI with BSR and/or Client.
- Run SEP sesam service as given user: If you are installing Exchange DB or Hyper-V cluster, select this option and run the service under the admin account that has the backup rights (see the first option).
- Force installation: If you want the installation to be performed in any case, even if a previous version exists or the version is identical or some warnings are encountered during the process, select this option.
Hovering over a client displays information about the installation status.