4 4 3 Beefalo:HPE StoreOnce Backup
- 1 Overview
- 2 Configuring backup to HPE StoreOnce
- 3 Backing up to HPE StoreOnce
- 4 Option HPE StoreOnce Bandwidth Optimized Data Transfer
- 5 Checking the status of a backup
- 6 Troubleshooting HPE StoreOnce backups
- 7 See also
As of SEP sesam v. 4.4.3 Beefalo, you can use Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) StoreOnce Catalyst stores as a backup storage. Before you configure a SEP sesam backup to StoreOnce Catalyst stores, your HPE StoreOnce backup appliance must be set up and all the requirements must be met (e.g., minimum supported version of HPE system), as described in HPE StoreOnce Configuration. Once your HPE StoreOnce appliance is set up and the Catalyst stores are created on the StoreOnce system, you have to configure the HPE StoreOnce data store(s) in the SEP sesam GUI. Then you can proceed with configuring your HPE StoreOnce backup.
Configuring backup to HPE StoreOnce
Configuring a backup to StoreOnce Catalyst store consists of the following steps:
- The HPE StoreOnce data store must already be configured; for details, see SEP sesam HPE StoreOnce Configuration. Note that you cannot use HPE Cloud Bank store as a backup target; the HPE Cloud Bank storage is supported as a Catalyst copy target only.
- Create a media pool for backup.
- Back up to HPE StoreOnce data store.
Creating a media pool for backup
After configuring a HPE StoreOnce data store, you have to create a media pool for backing up to HPE StoreOnce. Note that you can create the media pools before during a data store configuration by clicking the Create Media Pool button or later in the HPE StoreOnce data store properties, as described here.
- Double-click the HPE StoreOnce data store and in the Properties window click Create Media Pool.
- Enter a media pool name, for example, MP_StoreOnce-2_dly.
- Set up the Retention time for which the media from the pool are protected from writing (see Managing EOL).
If you have set StoreOnce immutability (retention) period for your backups when creating the Catalyst stores, the data will be protected for the defined immutability period of time even if the SEP sesam EOL has expired. If the SEP sesam EOL is longer than the defined immutability period, the data will be protected as defined by SEP sesam. For details, see StoreOnce immutability period.
Backing up to HPE StoreOnce
Configuring a backup to HPE StoreOnce Catalyst store in the SEP sesam GUI involves creating a backup task, setting up a backup schedule (specifying when you want to back up your data) and linking the schedule to a backup event (specifying how and where to back up the data). For general details on backup configuration and prerequisites, see Standard Backup Procedure.
|If you prefer to watch a video rather than to read a step-by-step guide, you can learn all the steps of the backup procedure by watching Catalyst-based backup, replication and restore of HPE StoreOnce with SEP sesam on SEP sesam YouTube channel.|
- From Main Selection -> Tasks -> By Clients, select HPE StoreOnce client and click New Backup Task. The New Backup Task window opens.
- Specify the Source. You can either browse for the savesets that you want to include in the backup or enter their names followed by a comma. Note that by browsing the source (not entering it manually), the task type and task name are set automatically.
- If you want to define other options (such as pre/post backup and restore commands, set encryption or compress data, set the credentials to access the resources on the target client, consolidate individual tasks under a specific task group, or assign a task to the schedule), click the corresponding tabs in the New Backup Task window.
- If you want to start the newly created task immediately, right-click the name of the task and click Immediate Start. If you want to create a periodic backup, you have to create a schedule for your backup task: Click New schedule under Main Selection -> Scheduling -> Schedules and set up a schedule. For more details, see Creating a Schedule.
- Once you have configured a schedule, you must create a new backup event for it; right-click the schedule and select New Backup Event. For general information on creating a backup event, see Creating a Backup Event.
|If you have already enabled encryption during creation of the Catalyst store, you cannot use SEP sesam encryption.|
Click OK to create the task.
|You can also add your backup task to an existing schedule by double-clicking the backup task, selecting the tab Schedules and adding it to one or more schedules. Additionally, you can group your backup tasks to task groups. For details, see Adding a Task to the Task Group.|
Option HPE StoreOnce Bandwidth Optimized Data Transfer
As of v. 4.4.3 Beefalo V2, you can set the HPE StoreOnce Bandwidth Optimized Data Transfer option in the properties of the HPE StoreOnce backup event: Double-click the existing HPE StoreOnce backup event to open its properties and select the option HPE StoreOnce Bandwidth Optimized Data Transfer. By selecting this option, application-side deduplication is used by transferring only the changed blocks to the backup server during backup thus optimizing bandwidth utilization. To use this option, at least one transfer policy must be set to Low Bandwidth. For details on where to set the transfer policy, see HPE StoreOnce Configuration: Creating HPE StoreOnce Catalyst store.
|Keep the following in mind when using this option:
Configuring SESAM_DRIVE and SESAM_TAPESERVER for SAP Oracle backups
To send the data straight from the SAP Oracle client to the HPE Catalyst Store, a local STPD connection must be established. In the SAP UTIL_FILE or in the RMAN script, the SESAM_DRIVE parameter must be set to the HPE Catalyst Store to define the connection to the HPE system and the SESAM_TAPESERVER parameter must be specified with the name of the SAP client (as it is configured in the SEP sesam GUI):
SESAM_DRIVE=SMS:DS@+SO@ix2-store-once-1 where the value after the second @ is <DB:data_stores.name> SESAM_TAPESERVER=sapcertsles11.sep.de where the name is the hostname of the SAP client as specified in the SEP sesam GUI
|For Oracle RMAN, these parameters can be set in the RMAN script directly or by using sbc_rman -d and -S switch. For details, see Backing up the Oracle database.|
Checking the status of a backup
In SEP sesam GUI, you can view the status of your backup jobs by selecting Monitoring -> Last Backup State in the Main selection window. The backup status overview provides detailed information on the last run of backup jobs, including the task name, start and stop time of the last backup, backup level, data size, throughput, assigned media pool, etc.
Troubleshooting HPE StoreOnce backups
If your backups are failing, one of the reasons could be related to the HPE StoreOnce sizing parameters. In this case, check the following:
- If you have defined either Physical or Logical Storage Quota for your Catalyst store, check if the quota limits have been reached. If so, increase the quota to the sufficient size. For details, see HPE StoreOnce Configuration.
- If you created an HPE Catalyst data store in SEP sesam and later changed the HPE Catalyst store size parameters, such as changing or removing its storage quotas, check their values in SEP sesam GUI: Main selection -> Components -> Data Stores, double-click your StoreOnce store, and then click the HPE Catalyst Store State tab. If the data store status is set to "failed", you may need to adjust the StoreOnce data store (Size) Capacity and High watermark values to allow correct calculation and make the data store functional again. For details, see Size and Disk space usage.