4 4 3 Beefalo:Access Modes
Access mode defines the communication method and access type between SEP sesam Client and the SEP sesam Server. You select the access mode when configuring a new client, as shown in the section below Selecting access mode.
Depending on SEP sesam version, the following access modes are available:
- CTRL: Default access mode until version 18.104.22.168 Tigon V2.
- SMSSH: Default access mode as of version 22.214.171.124 Grolar. SEP sesam SSH-based control communication. SSL libraries include libmicrohttpd, libcurl, and libopenssl. See also FAQ: access permissions.
- PROXY: Access mode for a hypervisor or other systems without installed backup client. The data transfer is executed via vendor specific protocols; the client is accessed via the mandatory data mover. For details, see What is a SEP sesam data mover. The following protocols are supported: vSphere (vCenter Server), Citrix Xen Server, NetApp, NDMP and Novell SMS for NetWare 5.1/6.0/6.5.
- VIRTUAL: (introduced in v. 4.4.3 Beefalo) Access mode for a virtual machine (VM) without installed backup client where there is no direct remote access to this VM. Note that the VIRTUAL access mode is similar to PROXY, but is specifically intended to manage VMs as clients by allowing to configure ACLs for VMs. This means that administrator can allow explicit restore access to a virtual client while preventing access to the hypervisor server. For details on how to configure permissions (ACLs) for clients, see Using Access Control Lists.
- SSH: The communication mode SSH is based on a key-pair operation of the SSH implementation of the used operation system.
- RSH: Remote Shell; it is a historic old option and is rarely used.
Selecting access mode
You have to select the access mode when configuring a new client, as shown in the screenshot below.
|As of 4.4.3 Beefalo V2, the Access mode is only available in the Advanced or Expert UI mode. So if you run the GUI in Basic UI mode, you first have to change the mode to Advanced or Expert, as described in Selecting UI mode.|
From Main selection -> Components -> Topology -> New Client -> select relevant Access mode from the drop-down list. For example, if you want to add NDMP host as a SEP sesam Client, you have to select PROXY access mode for the SEP sesam server-client communication. By default, SMSSH access mode is selected.