|Download for Linux: SEP sesam 126.96.36.199 Linux||Download for Windows: SEP sesam 188.8.131.52 Windows|
|See Installation on Linux||See Installation on Windows|
You always have to update the SEP sesam Server first before updating the RDS and client components. For more information on the SEP sesam software updates, see Updating SEP sesam.
What's new in 5.1.0 Apollon
SEP sesam now supports the Object Lock function to protect your data from alteration or deletion when backing up your data to the Amazon S3 cloud storage, Wasabi cloud storage, or other S3-compatible cloud implementation. Object Lock is a data protection feature and enables you to customize immutability of the backup objects. The retention time can be set for a fixed amount of time or indefinitely, and no one can change, delete or overwrite a backup object until its retention time is expired.
SEP sesam introduces a new feature that enables a virus scan on selected files before initiating a Single File Restore. By performing a virus scan with the latest Virus Database (VDB) before starting the restore, SEP sesam effectively prevents restoring any known infections that might have gone undetected during the backup process.
SEP Immutable Storage or SiS is a file storage feature resistant to ransomware attacks, based on Si3 NG on Linux. Even with full admin access to the SEP sesam backup server, attackers cannot delete, modify, or encrypt data stored on SiS. The idea behind SEP sesam Immutable Storage is that stored data remains completely static in its original and unchanged form throughout its lifetime. This means that businesses can quickly recover from a ransomware attack, even if they have lost access to their data and servers, by using stored data copies that have remained unchanged and intact to restore the entire operating environment.
SEP Customer Experience (SCE) collects technical information from participating customers. This data is used to improve SEP sesam, both for existing needs and for future development.
SEP sesam supports Resilient change tracking (RCT) for Hyper-V VM disks. At the data block level, RCT tracks changes to a VM disk (VHDX) that occur in between backup operations and only blocks that have changed since the last backup are backed up. This approach is more efficient and can significantly reduce space consumption when you have multiple snapshots on a single host.
A failover media pool can be configured for any media pool. In case a media pool isn't available for writing for some reason (out of space, no free media, RDS cannot be reached), a failover media pool can be used for backups or migration.
In addition to failover media pool, a failover backup task event can be configured for more complex tasks. This enables you to set more options to ensure that a task completes successfully. A failover backup task event is started when data storage (media pool or data store for example) is not accessible and the original task cannot be executed successfully.
The definition for a command is extended to include also an abort command. Abort command will be run when the command event is cancelled during its execution.
SEP sesam offers the functionality for introducing new media into the loader without interrupting or blocking any backup, restore or migration. SEP sesam checks the barcodes of the tapes that are not in drives and does not block all drives for backup or restore. This enables introducing new media and adjusting the archive while the drives are in use.
With the combination of archive adjustment options Adjustment by barcode only and Automatic introduction you can put new media into a loader and the barcodes of these media are scanned and stored into SEP sesam DB. When these media are loaded into the drive, they are checked for SEP sesam label or initialized (according to your selection for handling the unknown SEP sesam media).
Saving backup metadata on tape allows backup administrators to store critical information about a backup on the tape, which can be used for restoring data in the event of a disaster or data loss. Backup metadata information includes important details about the backup and can be used to recreate DB entries that are required for FULL restore.
To enable saving the meta file archive (LIS/SGM/DB entries) on tape by default, set the global variable gv_conf_no_info_upload_sms to 0.
The new SEP sesam Unit license model (SEP sesam UNIT PURCHASE AND SUBSCRIPTION LICENSE) enables you to easily identify the license relevant Tier T1/T2/T3 Units, especially in Hyper-V Hypervisor environments. Contact our sales team for more details (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Improvements in 5.1.0 Apollon
- SEP sesam settings: All available SEP sesam global variables are stored with default settings in the SEP sesam table defaults and can be configured in UI/Web UI. Note: Customers who use global variables must insert the specific GLBVs into table defaults before updating, otherwise they will be overwritten with the SEP sesam default settings.
- Improved directory structure for LIS files: On the SEP sesam Server, LIS files are stored in the <SESAM_ROOT>/var/lis directory. Now, a sub-directory is created for every (Sesam) day. This significantly reduces the number of files in one directory, which can be difficult to handle and can slow down the file system operations. LIS files contain information about the backup's unique files, which is used by restore wizard to select and restore unique files. You can use the restore wizard also to check what was backed up.
- Changes in CLI commands:
sm_vmdk_interfaceis replaced by
sm_data_store mount_savesetis replaced by
- Backup and restore SSH/SSL private/public keypairs: SEP sesam database can now store the SEP sesam server key, the HTTPS certificate and other important private/public keypairs. In case of a disaster recovery, where the whole backup server needs to be restored from scratch, SEP sesam can recover these important keypairs directly from the restored SEP sesam database.
- Immediate start: You can define a custom start time when you use immediate start option to override the scheduled start time for an event. In addition, immediate start option is supported for more results and tasks, and for schedules in Web UI.
- SEP sesam now supports HTTPS protocol for all control commands and network traffic. The HTTP and FTP interfaces can be switched off and all data traffic is performed over HTTPS interfaces. For more information see Disabling unsecure transport modes.
- Restore Assistant (web)
- Single File Restore for vSphere via attach: Attaching virtual disks via NFS is enabled for vSphere Single File Restore.
- Lifetime (abort time) and Restore Task Name: Before starting restore, you can set the name for a restore task and define the time at which a (still running) restore task will get cancelled.
- Web UI enhancements
- Improvements to layout and navigation: Many improvements were made to enhance the user experience. The Sidebar Navigation is redesigned, dashboard is optimized and widgets can be configured, accessibility is improved, and new layout, colors and actions are configured for Notifications. More filters are available for searching and limiting displayed entries in table views, more information is available and presented in a more comprehensive and useful way.
- Reports can be exported as HTML and PDF: HTML report can be opened in a new browser tab or window, where you can download it for easier viewing and printing. You can also generate the report in PDF format. The HTML to PDF export is performed by an external tool wkhtmltopdf which must be installed on the SEP sesam server. To activate the PDF export, add the full path to the wkhtmltopdf executable to the sm.ini file:
... [UI] html2pdf_converter=/usr/local/bin/wkhtmltopdf ...
- New Active Jobs page with timeline: There is an additional timeline view to show active jobs. If there are no running jobs, the timeline shows the next four events. In addition, you can now view active sub-jobs in a backup details pop-up.
- Restart failed jobs: You can restart failed migration parents, migrations, backups, and replications.
- System Configuration: You can view, add, edit and delete system properties (DB-Defaults).
- Licensing: In Server status details pop-up you can view License Terms, and upload and install a license file.
- UI enhancements
- Improvements to default layout and navigation: The Navigation Tree is redesigned to improve user experience when working with the SEP sesam. Default layout is optimized, design improvements bring better scaling on high resolution displays, and dark mode is now available. In addition, new informational messages (Tip of the Day) are shown at UI startup.
- Saveset state: savesets have states that indicate health of the saveset (if the saveset is OK, incomplete or corrupted). The saveset state is presented in the relevant views together with backup state (previously, State).
- Command definition and view: The dialog for configuring commands is improved and extended with an option to specify an abort command. The list of configured commands and command events is now available in Commands view.
- Reset password: The old password is no longer required when superuser resets the password of any user, except superuser.
- New exclude type for backup tasks (on Linux): To differentiate between files and directories a new regular expression based exclude type is provided for excluding items in a backup task.
- Delete multiple events: You can now select and delete multiple events at the same time in the event list view.
New supported systems and integrations
|On RHEL 8.6 update the VDDK to version 7.0.3, otherwise you might experience problems with vSphere restore.|
- Debian 12 Bookworm
- SEP sesam Server 184.108.40.206 Apollon supports Debian 12 Bookworm distribution.
- Microsoft Windows 11
- SEP sesam Server 5.1.0 Apollon supports Microsoft Windows 11 (with BSR Windows Disaster Recovery).
- Microsoft Windows Server 2022
- SEP sesam Server 5.1.0 Apollon supports Microsoft Windows Server 2022 (with BSR Windows Disaster Recovery).
- Proxmox 7.3
- Introduced with Apollon in SEP sesam VM extensions.
- vSphere 8
- Introduced with Apollon in SEP sesam VM extensions.
For a complete list of supported OS and databases, see SEP sesam Support Matrix.
Fixes: SEP sesam Server 5.1.0 Apollon
|Fixed with 220.127.116.11 Apollon:|
|Fixed with 18.104.22.168 Apollon]:|
|Fixed with 22.214.171.124 Apollon:|
Known issues and limitations
|Antivirus programs may disrupt network communication and cause SEP sesam processes, such as backup and replication, to fail. One program that is known to cause SEP sesam processes to terminate is Sophos Firewall with IPS (Intrusion Prevention System) enabled. Make sure that there are no antivirus, firewall, IDS or IPS programs preventing interaction with SEP sesam.|
|5.1.0.x Apollon known issues:|
|With Apollon release SEP sesam no longer supports Java JRE 1.8 release. During SEP sesam Server update, Java update to version 11 or higher is enforced. On RDS component, you have to upgrade Java to version 11 or higher manually.
If you are using Si3 or Si3-NG deduplication store, which require Java, update the Java version before updating the RDS component, otherwise Si3 might not start.
In SEP sesam Apollon, SEP announced that it would no longer support:
- RHEL 7
- Debian 9 (Stretch)
- Windows 2012 R2
You can continue using the last available version of SEP sesam on these operating systems, but SEP AG no longer provides updates or fixes for the specified versions.
For SEP sesam Client versions, backward compatibility is maintained and the last available versions for a platform are continuously supported. On older platforms you can use older versions of SEP sesam Client component, but it is recommended to combine such clients with the latest versions of SEP sesam Server and RDS components.
End of maintenance and support
Obsolete SEP sesam Server versions
The following versions of SEP sesam are no longer supported:
- SEP sesam 4.4.3 Beefalo V2 -> August 2023
- SEP sesam 4.4.3 Beefalo -> August 2022
- SEP sesam 4.4.3 Grolar -> October 2021
- SEP sesam 4.4.3 Tigon V2 -> December 2020
- SEP sesam 4.4.3 Tigon -> September 2020
For the list of all SEP sesam versions see SEP sesam Release Versions.