Release Notes 4.4.3 Beefalo V2
Copyright © SEP AG 1999-2019. All rights reserved.
Any form of reproduction of the contents or parts of this manual is allowed only with the express written permission from SEP AG. When compiling and designing user documentation SEP AG uses great diligence and attempts to deliver accurate and correct information. However, SEP AG cannot issue a guarantee for the contents of this manual.
|SEP AG is pleased to announce the beta release of SEP sesam 4.4.3 Beefalo V2. If you are interested in testing the beta version, please register as a beta tester by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Before installing the beta version, make sure that you understand the beta release version status and conditions, available at Hints for beta testing.|
- 1 About SEP sesam 4.4.3 Beefalo V2 beta
- 2 What's new in SEP sesam 4.4.3 Beefalo V2
- 3 Known issues and limitations
- 4 Enhancements and changes
- 4.1 HPE Cloud Bank Storage
- 4.2 MS SQL AlwaysOn Availability Groups
- 4.3 SAP HANA housekeeping
- 4.4 VMware sandbox restore
- 4.5 Redesigned SEP sesam Dashboard and Restore Assistant
- 4.6 RHV support for oVirt-based platforms
- 4.7 GUI enhancements
- 4.8 Technical improvements
- 4.9 Managing failed backups (EOL) has changed
- 4.10 Increased exclude pattern range
- 5 End of maintenance and support
- 6 Major fixes and changes
- 7 See also
About SEP sesam 4.4.3 Beefalo V2 beta
Beefalo V2 beta is provided together with a service pack (SP1) for 22.214.171.124. SEP strictly recommends to install SP1 immediately after the installation of Beefalo V2; for more details, see Known Issues. To install the beta version, download the SP package 126.96.36.199 from beta download to SEP sesam Server and install it. Before installing the beta version, make sure that you understand the beta release version status and conditions, available at Hints for beta testing.
What's new in SEP sesam 4.4.3 Beefalo V2
SEP sesam Beefalo V2 brings new remarkable features that help improve managing and protecting data in your SEP sesam environment.
Now you can use flexible and scalable HPE Cloud Bank Storage as a Catalyst copy target where you can replicate or restore your data.
SEP sesam 4.4.3 Beefalo V2 introduces support for the VMware sandbox restore via its enhanced (web) Restore Assistant. Additionally, SEP sesam web Dashboard and Restore Assistant have been completely redesigned to provide an intuitive detailed overview of the SEP sesam environment and a simple wizard that walks you through the restore process, where the availability of restore options depends on the used UI mode (basic or advanced).
GUI enhancements include a new Install/Update tab (in the Configuration -> Defaults) that ease the update process and simplifies the deployment of clients. Schedules provide a more intuitive and responsive calendar.
Technical improvements include the possibility to set the device block size for LTO Ultrium tape drives.
SEP sesam RHV module also provides support for oVirt-based platforms within OLVM (Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager) in the same way as for RHV environments.
- Managing failed backups (EOL) has changed. SEP sesam now keeps failed backups according to the media pool retention time (previously: 3 days), but allows you to customize your backup retention policy by using retention-related keys.
- The exclude pattern range has been increased for SEP internal exclude patterns.
New supported systems
SEP sesam Server 4.4.3 Beefalo V2 now also supports the following systems:
- oVirt-based platforms within Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager (OLVM).
For a complete list of supported OS and databases, see SEP sesam Support Matrix.
|In SEP sesam Beefalo, SEP announced that it would no longer support:
This desupport has been revoked. SEP sesam Server packages 188.8.131.52–7x Beefalo V2 can be normally installed on Windows Server 2008 R2 and all SEP sesam packages 184.108.40.206x Beefalo V2 (Server, Client, etc.) can be used on SLES 11 SP2, SP3, SP4.
SEP sesam Server requirements
- Java xx
- No changes since last (Beefalo) release. For details see Java Compatibility Matrix, same requirements as for Beefalo.
Installation and upgrades
SEP sesam 4.4.3 Beefalo V2 was released on xxth of xx, 2019. Direct upgrade for versions 4.4.3.X to version 4.4.3 Beefalo V2 is supported.
Latest released versions are:
- SEP sesam 4.4.3.xx Linux – released: xxth of xx, 2019.
- SEP sesam 4.4.3.xx Windows – released: xxth of xx, 2019.
The 4.4.3 Beefalo V2 installation package on Windows also includes:
SEP sesam Server and Client components should be upgraded to the latest version during the upgrade process. This ensures that SEP sesam Clients are fully protected. Customers with a valid license are eligible for a free upgrade of SEP sesam to any new release for the duration of the license. See also Updating SEP sesam and Remote Installation of Windows Clients.
Known issues and limitations
|Antivirus programs may disrupt network communication and cause SEP sesam processes, such as backup and replication, to fail. One program that is known to cause SEP sesam processes to terminate is Sophos Firewall with IPS (Intrusion Prevention System) enabled. Make sure that there are no antivirus, firewall, IDS or IPS programs preventing interaction with SEP sesam.|
|4.4.3 Beefalo V2 known issues:|
Enhancements and changes
HPE Cloud Bank Storage
As of v. 4.4.3 Beefalo V2, it is recommended to set up HPE Cloud Bank Storage as a Catalyst copy target for replicating your data. HPE Cloud Bank Storage stores data to public or private cloud storage and is ideal for long-term retention and archiving of backups and offsite backup copies for disaster recovery. For details, see HPE StoreOnce Replication.
MS SQL AlwaysOn Availability Groups
SEP sesam currently supports backups of MS SQL Server AlwaysOn Availability Groups (AOAG) on the primary replica via the listener. AOAG provide various options for better database availability. For details, see Support for MS SQL AlwaysOn Availability Groups.
SAP HANA housekeeping
Now you can use SAP HANA housekeeping to delete (purge) SEP sesam backups that are no longer needed or can no longer be used for recovery. To perform SAP HANA housekeeping, the relevant commands should be executed on the SAP HANA server. For details, see SAP HANA housekeeping.
VMware sandbox restore
SEP sesam introduces an online VMware sandbox restore which can be performed via a Restore Assistant. SEP sesam sandbox restore for VMware is performed in an isolated environment where you can recover and start one or more virtual machines (VMs). It is useful for checking the VM environment, testing backups, and troubleshooting issues. For details, see VMware Sandbox Restore.
Redesigned SEP sesam Dashboard and Restore Assistant
SEP sesam web Dashboard and Restore Assistant have been completely redesigned to provide a detailed overview and improved monitoring of the SEP sesam environment. Restore Assistant is structured as a simple wizard that guides you through the restore process. It also offers some additional options when compared to GUI, such as VMware sandbox restore (see above). The availability of restore options in the Restore Assistant depends on the used UI mode (basic or advanced). Switching between Restore Assistant, Monitor and Dashboard is easy. For details, see SEP sesam Web UI and Restore Assistant.
RHV support for oVirt-based platforms
SEP sesam RHV module provides support for oVirt-based platforms within Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager (OLVM) in the same way as for RHV environments (with the same options and steps). The only difference is that the relevant OLVM components should be configured instead of RHV. For details, see RHV Backup.
- The sm_update_client command has been extended. Now you can check in the SEP sesam GUI whether an update is available for your clients and select to update automatically or manually. You can update all clients within the location at once or update only the selected client. You can also exclude a specific client from the update or install SEP sesam component(s) on new Windows clients. For details, see Updating SEP sesam and Updating client(s).
- SEP sesam remote automatic installation is a Windows-only feature that enables you to remotely install any SEP sesam package (Client, RDS, etc.) to any Windows system by using SEP sesam GUI. For details, see Remote Installation of Windows Clients.
- SEP sesam calendar became more user-friendly and intuitive. It provides flexible scheduling features to customize how and when your events are processed and how your calendar is set up. For details, see Creating a Custom Calendar.
- It is possible to change the default write density for tapes to achieve better tape performance by using a new Device Block Size option in the drive properties. You can increase the tape block size if you are using LTO Ultrium tape drives and your backup environment supports larger tape blocks; see Setting device block size.
Managing failed backups (EOL) has changed
How SEP sesam manages failed backups depends on its version. Starting with Beefalo V2, SEP sesam keeps the failed backup(s) according to the media pool retention time together with the last successful backup or migration saveset (in previous versions failed backups were automatically deleted after 3 days). At the same time it introduces retention-related keys that allow you to customize your backup retention policy and control how long the failed backup(s) should be kept. For details, see Customizing retention policy.
Increased exclude pattern range
With Beefalo V2 the exclude pattern range ExcludePattern900 and higher is used for SEP internal exclude patterns. Now the lower numbers should be used in order to define specific exclude patterns. For details, see section Using sm.ini to completely exclude files from backups on the client.
End of maintenance and support
Obsolete SEP sesam Server version
No changes since SEP sesam version 4.4.3 Beefalo.
Discontinued SEP sesam Server OS
The following table lists the last supported version of SEP sesam for specified operating systems. You can continue using the last supported version of SEP sesam on these operating systems, but SEP AG no longer provides updates or fixes for the specified versions.
|Operating system||Last supported version||Release||Notes|
|RHEL 6||220.127.116.11 Grolar||4.4.3 Grolar|
|SLES 11 SP2, SP3, SP4||4.4.3.x Beefalo V2, see notes||4.4.3 Beefalo V2||SEP announced that it would no longer support SLES 11 SP2, SP3, SP4 with SEP sesam Beefalo, but has re-established support for Beefalo V2, where all SEP sesam Beefalo V2 packages (Server, Client, etc.) can be used. However, Beefalo V2 is the last supported SEP sesam version for SLES 11 SP2, SP3, SP4 .|
|Debian 8 »Jessie«||18.104.22.168 Grolar||4.4.3 Grolar|
|Debian 7 »Wheezy«||22.214.171.124 Grolar||4.4.3 Grolar||Version 126.96.36.199 only available for sesam-cli on amd64|
|Windows Server 2008 R2||4.4.3.x Beefalo V2, see notes||4.4.3 Beefalo V2||SEP announced that it would no longer support SEP sesam Server on Windows Server 2008 R2 with SEP sesam Beefalo, but has re-established this support already in Beefalo. This actually means that the last supported SEP sesam Server version for Windows Server 2008 R2 is Beefalo V2.|
|Windows Server 2008||188.8.131.52 Grolar||4.4.3 Grolar|
|Windows 7||184.108.40.206 Grolar||4.4.3 Grolar|
|Ubuntu 14.04||220.127.116.11 Tigon V2||4.4.3 Tigon V2|
|All 32-bit operating systems||18.104.22.168||4.2.2|
|Debian 6 »Squeeze«||22.214.171.124||4.2.2||sesam-cli also available in version 126.96.36.199|
|Windows Server 2003||188.8.131.52||4.2.2|
|Debian 5 »Lenny«||184.108.40.206||4.2.1|
|SLES 11, SLES 11 SP1||220.127.116.11||4.2.1|
For a complete list of supported SEP sesam clients, see SEP sesam Support Matrix.
Major fixes and changes
- See changes at SEP sesam download – changes.