5 1 0:How to Configure Mail Notification
SEP sesam offers two ways to send emails from the application: using the built-in email interface or a local email client. With integrated email interface you can send emails directly from the interface. To use the integrated email interface, create an account with your mailbox credentials.
In addition, you can configure to receive various email notifications from SEP sesam. SEP sesam provides email notification system, which uses a configured sesam mail account to connect to the mail server and send automated mail notifications from the configured mailbox.
SEP sesam email notification system is based on interface scripts that have to be activated first. You can activate them via GUI or manually by copying the templates that are available in the SEP sesam directory
The following interfaces exist:
- sm_notify: Notify is executed on the SEP sesam Server. It can be used for reporting on successfully finished events, such as backup, restore, migration, media initialization, and start/finish of a NEWDAY event.
- sm_alarm: Alarm is executed on the SEP sesam Server to warn the system administrator when a fatal error occurs or in case of a license violation.
- sm_disaster: Disaster must be properly configured to help carry out the disaster recovery process. For details on how to prepare, see SEP sesam Server Disaster Recovery. The disaster interface sends an email describing the recovery procedure in the event of a disaster and an attachment containing the SEP sesam bootstrap database with all essential data for the disaster recovery. sm_disaster is always called after the task SESAM_BACKUP is finished.
The interface templates are located in the SEP sesam directory
<SESAM_ROOT>/skel/templates. You can activate them automatically via GUI or manually by copying them.
Activating interfaces via SEP sesam GUI
- From Configuration -> Interfaces, select the relevant interface type (Alarm, Disaster or Notify), depending on which information you want to receive.
- Window with the interface script opens. Click Save to activate the interface.
|The Disaster interface should always be configured to help carry out the disaster recovery process in case of a SEP sesam Server breakdown. This means that you have to configure at least one backup task with the name SESAM_BACKUP. For details, see SEP sesam Server Disaster Recovery.|
The template script is read and copied to the
<SESAM_ROOT>/bin/sesam. You can customize the script according to your needs. Now you have to configure an email account to enable sending the selected notifications by email.
Activating interfaces manually
Alternatively, you can activate the interfaces by copying the existing templates from the SEP sesam directory
<SESAM_ROOT>/skel/templates to the directory
<SESAM_ROOT>/bin/sesam. You can customize the script according to your needs.
By default, the interfaces are located in the SEP sesam
<SESAM_ROOT>/skel/templates under the names:
sm_notify sm_alarm sm_disaster
Note that on Windows, all interfaces/commands have the ending .cmd or .ps1 when using Powershell.
To activate the interfaces, copy the selected interfaces manually to
|The Disaster interface should always be configured to help perform the disaster recovery process in case of a SEP sesam Server breakdown. This means that you have to configure at least one backup task with the name SESAM_BACKUP. For details, see SEP sesam Server Disaster Recovery.|
Now you have to configure an email account to enable sending the selected notifications by email.
Configuring email account and recipients
To send emails from the application, you can use either a local email client or the integrated SEP sesam email interface. To use the integrated email interface create a mail account following the procedure described below. You can also create multiple mail accounts based on your requirements. Each account specifies the sender email and the list of recipients, which can be customized for specific emails.
This procedure describes how to set up a the default sesam account that is required by the SEP sesam notifications. You can use a different account name to create a custom account.
- From Configuration -> Email Settings, select Use SEP sesam mail program option and click New.
- The Email Account window opens. Use the account name sesam (all lowercase) as shown in the example below, and enter the information as required:
- Account: Name of the account (mandatory)
- Customer: Name of the customer
- Sender: Email address of the sender
- SMTP server: Name or IP address of the outgoing mail server
- SMTP user: User name for SMTP server
- Password: Password for the mail server. Password is mandatory if SMTP server requires authentication.
- SMTP port: Optionally, specify the SMTP port.
- Recipient: Email address of the recipient
- CC: Email address for copy of the email
- BCC: Email address for hidden copy of the email
- SSL: Optionally, you can select encryption type to connect securely via SSL or TLS.
- Click Send Test Email to check if your email account is configured properly, and then click OK.
Email settings and interfaces – Disaster interface