Cross-Platform Recovery File System Layer
Cross-platform recovery file system layer (XPRFS) is a special implementation of a virtual file system layer. It is an advanced restore feature that allows for mount and restore onto different operating systems and hardware platforms (Windows – MTF <–> Linux/Unix – cpio). XPRFS employs direct access to backed up data and allows you to access individual backed up files through a file browser, thus enabling single file restore.
One of the XPRFS main advantages is that it is no longer required to perform a complete restore of backed up data. By selecting the Mount save set option in the restore wizard, the target save set is mounted to the SEP sesam home directory var\tmp\mnt, e.g., C:\Program Files\SEPsesam\var\tmp\mnt\save_set_ID. The mounted save set is instantly accessible for browsing and searching.
It is recommended to use the XPRFS for restoring specific data, such as Exchange, Hyper-V and V-Sphere backups with the following major advantages:
- Instant access to your data, such as single mailboxes.
- Faster restore time and performance.
- Reduced free space requirement on restore target.
- Protection of mounted data – all data is mounted read-only, allowing you to query the save set and preventing you from altering or damaging the data content.
XPRFS requires the following:
- A SEP sesam data store Path or SEP sesam Si3 data store is required for instant single item recovery.
To enable XPRFS, from the SEP sesam GUI menu bar select Activities -> Restore -> select save set -> select task -> under Single file restore select Mount save set. For details, see Standard Restore Procedure.