Creating a Media Event
Any form of reproduction of the contents or parts of this manual is allowed only with the express written permission from SEP AG. When compiling and designing user documentation SEP AG uses great diligence and attempts to deliver accurate and correct information. However, SEP AG cannot issue a guarantee for the contents of this manual.
A media event can be a user-defined event or an internal event created by SEP sesam. For example, if the specified media are unavailable at the start of a backup or if the end of media (EOM) is reached during data transfer, SEP sesam creates an internal media event which determines the next media for the backup. If no other media events are conﬁgured in the schedule, only internal media events are executed.
A user-defined media event is configured by using GUI and automatically activated by SEPuler. The following media events can be configured:
- A process of preparing backup media for use with SEP sesam. If a medium meets the requirements (e.g., its EOL has expired and it is not write-protected – locked), it can be initialized, deleting all data contained on it and preparing it for use again. During initializing, SEP sesam assigns a new tape label for formatted media and deletes all existing content on these media. At the same time, it deletes all information about old backups from the SEP sesam system.
- readability check
- A process that checks the backup data readability. During the check the data on medium is read in blocks, and the structure of tape is checked and recorded. It also checks whether all determined backup sets on the tape are recorded in the database and vice versa.
- close tape
- A process that marks the tape as full by defining EOM and closing the tape, regardless whether the tape is really full or not.
- archive adjustment
- A process that scans media in selected loader to update SEP sesam information about the media in the loader. It is required if the media in the loader have changed, for example if new media are added. For details, see Setting up Archive Adjustment.
- In the Main Selection -> Scheduling -> Schedules, select the schedule to which you want to link the event, select New and then New Media Event. A schedule is opened with a new tab Parameter.
- Under the Media action, select the type of event you want to create. You can select among the following: init, readability check, close tape, and archive adjustment.
- Optionally, under the Sequence control set up the Priority of your media event. SEPuler always executes the schedules with higher priority first. Default priority level is 1, which is the lowest priority (the highest is 99). The only exception are the schedules with priority 0, which override all other priorities and are always executed. For details, see Setting Event Priorities. You can also enable the Blocking date. This option should be used together with high priority for special events. If checked, the blocking event will block events of the same type of a lower priority, ensuring the backup to be processed in case other backups are scheduled at the same time.
- Depending on previously chosen media event, some or all of the following options may be available. For options init, readability check, close tape:
- Media Pool: Select the media pool for your event.
- Drive: Optionally, select a drive.
- Media: Optionally, select media for the event.
For option archive adjustment:
- Loader: Select the loader (tape library) for which you want to synchronize its contents with the SEP sesam database.
- Media Pool: Select the media pool where you want to perform the archive adjustment. Note that all media are shown regardless of the pool selected.
- Drive: Optionally, select a drive.
- First Slot and Last Slot: You can limit synchronization to the specified loader parts by entering the number of the first and last slot.
- Automatic Introduction: Optionally, you can select that any unknown media (without SEP sesam label) found in the tape library is automatically added to the specified media pool. If selected, specify also the Tape Type option by choosing the media type for automatic new media entry from the drop-down list.
- Handling of unknown SEP sesam media: Overwrite option will overwrite all media entered to the target media pool that are not recognized by the SEP sesam Server and assign a new media pool label to them.
Accept without initialization enables SEP sesam to enter other SEP sesam media, e.g., from another SEP sesam Server, into the target media pool.