Beefalo V2 22.214.171.124
Copyright © SEP AG 1999-2022. All rights reserved.
Any form of reproduction of the contents or parts of this manual is allowed only with the express written permission from SEP AG. When compiling and designing user documentation SEP AG uses great diligence and attempts to deliver accurate and correct information. However, SEP AG cannot issue a guarantee for the contents of this manual.
|This is not the latest version of SEP sesam documentation and, as such, does not provide information on features introduced in the latest release. For more information on SEP sesam releases, see SEP sesam Release Versions. For the latest documentation, check latest Release Notes.|
- 1 SEP sesam Beefalo V2 126.96.36.199 overview
- 2 Known issues
- 3 Enhancements and changes Beefalo 188.8.131.52
- 4 Fixed issues Beefalo 184.108.40.206
- 4.1 Kernel
- 4.2 Sesam DB
- 4.3 Update
- 4.4 STPD
- 4.4.1 When a backup is aborted, STPD does not write the metadata (LIS and SGM file)
- 4.4.2 Backup session receives incorrect COM responses (not matching the openjob command)
- 4.4.3 STPD log shows cpio errors, but backup is successful
- 4.4.4 Possible data loss if STPD timeout occurs during backup but backup is successful
- 4.4.5 Delayed start of STPD main process when using HTTP connection
- 4.4.6 Restore from HPE StoreOnce fails due to invalid credentials
- 4.4.7 Restore from RDX drive fails
- 4.5 SMS
- 4.5.1 Oracle RMAN multichannel backup fails with failed to create sequential file
- 4.5.2 Backups and migrations to tape drive hang or fail after media change
- 4.5.3 Backup on VTL that exceeds tape size is shown as successful
- 4.5.4 Restore of data split on several tapes fails
- 4.5.5 On sayFUSE, EOM is not recognized and backups fail
- 4.5.6 Next EOM after EOM IO error sets IO error flag
- 4.5.7 Backup to tape with IO error is successful but restore fails
- 4.5.8 The restore performance from tape is 2-3 times slower than backup performance
- 4.6 Media
- 4.7 OpenNebula
- 4.8 Citrix XenServer
- 4.9 DB modules
- 4.10 Backup
- 4.11 Restore
- 4.12 Migration
- 4.13 NDMP
- 4.14 HCL Domino
- 4.15 SBC Windows
- 4.16 Windows backup of a volume mounted as folder name fails
- 4.17 GUI
- 4.17.1 The license file in the form of lic.ZIP was not recognized by the GUI
- 4.17.2 Password length is limited to 27 characters
- 4.17.3 Source-side deduplication cannot be changed for an existing backup event
- 4.17.4 Deselecting files for selective restore also deselects all parent directories
- 4.17.5 Restore wizard does not recognize migrated saveset settings
- 4.17.6 Empty target node selection list in restore wizard for OpenNebula restore
- 4.17.7 Adding a drive from a different drive group in the datastore dialog results in an error
- 4.17.8 Active backup results do not appear in the results of the task context menu
SEP sesam Beefalo V2 220.127.116.11 overview
- version: 18.104.22.168 released: 5th of July, 2021
New supported systems
- OpenNebula 5.10.1 and 6.0
For a complete list of supported OS and databases, see SEP sesam Support Matrix.
|In SEP sesam 22.214.171.124 Beefalo V2, SEP announced that it does not support:
|Beefalo 126.96.36.199 known issues:|
sm_main start rmi sm_main start sds
Minor GUI issues
We are experiencing some minor GUI issues that do not affect SEP sesam's performance and functionality. SEP is working on these issues and will provide a fix as soon as possible.
Enhancements and changes Beefalo 188.8.131.52
Consistent export of the SEP sesam Server database
SEP sesam used to export its database table by table without taking care of foreign keys. As foreign keys enforce the database referential integrity and ensure that the relationship between database tables is preserved during the insertion of data, the export is now improved by using pg_dump, resulting in a consistent export and a faster import of the database.
Optimized license check
License check performance has been improved; the license is now checked during startup, reducing noise and clutter in the log with detailed logging of license checks.
SHA-256 for enhanced security
SEP sesam now uses SHA-256 to sign all executables in the Windows kit when upgrading or (re)installing SEP sesam.
Fixed issues Beefalo 184.108.40.206
Scheduled jobs and external backups fail due to yet uninitialised queue
- When a new drive is introduced or a new datastore and media pool are created and a backup or other scheduled job is started immediately afterwards, the job fails with an error about the non-existing queue. The same problem can occur if SEP sesam Server starts after the update and backups are started immediately after the server is started, as sm_config_drives has not yet created drive queues.
Queue manager fails with timed out when it is busy for more than 12 hours
- Submitting a task in a queue for processing times out waiting for a response when the queue is busy for more than 12 hours.
No error is recorded when the database is locked
- If an external backup is started and an error occurs when trying to access the database because the database is locked, no error is recorded for the failed backup.
sm_sms_watch crashes when starting the SEP sesam services or a NEWDAY event
- sm_sms_watch crashes on SEP sesam startup or on startup of a NEWDAY event due to the SM_QM status output that leads to overrun in the stack during drive configuration.
If the connection limit to the PostgreSQL database is reached, SEP sesam Server stops
- By default, the Sesam DB instance runs with the default max_connections = 100. When this connection limit is reached, for example to the PostgreSQL database, SEP sesam terminates, but the error log does not contain information about database access errors and reaching the maximum connection limit.
SEP sesam external backup modules (Oracle, Hana...) encounter errors during 'closejob' operation, but backup is reported as successful
- SEP sesam external backup modules (Oracle, Hana...) report backups as successful after the data transfer is complete. Any problems during the 'closejob' operation are ignored. For example, if the SGM file copy fails, the saveset will not be found during restore. Checksum errors may also be detected, but the backup will still be shown as successful.
Linux update fails due to faulty copy DB file command
- On some operating systems (e.g., SLES12) the behavior of overlapping string operations is undefined; because the update script uses the same string as source and target in the string operation, the update fails.
Automatic SP update of Windows clients on Linux Server fails
- When attempting to update Windows clients of the SEP sesam Linux Server, the automatic SP update fails or gets stuck in a loop due to the missing sm_execute_update.cmd file.
Windows client update from GUI fails if BSR is already installed on the system
- If BSR is already installed on the system to be updated automatically from GUI, the update fails due to a syntax error in the cmd file.
Installation of SEP sesam BSR Pro fails due to wrong installation path
- The installation of SEP sesam BSR Pro fails because of the wrong installation path with wrong double slash in BSR Pro path.
When a backup is aborted, STPD does not write the metadata (LIS and SGM file)
- (Applies only to Windows) STPD (Sesam Transfer Protocol Server) does not write the metadata (LIS and SGM file), causing a saveset to become invisible and unable to be deleted even though it occupies the space.
Backup session receives incorrect COM responses (not matching the openjob command)
- The backup session receives incorrect COM responses during the backup, for example, during Oracle backups using multiple channels or with SAP HANA backups; in the latter case, the backint backup module receives responses that do not match the openjob command and proceeds without backup error. Consequently, backups are performed to the arbitrary media pool with a much shorter retention time than configured, which can lead to data loss (the backup is not available for restore due to the shorter EOL).
STPD log shows cpio errors, but backup is successful
- STPD log shows cpio errors, for example, ERROR: cpioana_func: read_in_header (2): Synchronization lost, but SBC log shows no error and backup is marked as successful, which may result in a failed restore.
Possible data loss if STPD timeout occurs during backup but backup is successful
- If the STPD timeout occurred during the backup at the same time as the closing saveset operation, SBC ended with success, which may result in a failed restore.
Delayed start of STPD main process when using HTTP connection
- When performing a migration using HTTP, the start of the http process blocks the main STPD process for a longer period of time as it performs various operations (e.g. HPE communication, authorization).
Restore from HPE StoreOnce fails due to invalid credentials
- Restore from HPE StoreOnce fails with error: RETR Failed. Command error with HPE StoreOnce server [COFC-CZ3935RB01]: OSCLT_ERR_INVALID_CREDENTIALS. because password decryption failed.
Restore from RDX drive fails
- Restore from RDX disk drive stalls, STPD generates log files in an endless loop, or restore fails with MTF error because ESET metadata is printed with incorrect offset; consequently, restore fails.
Oracle RMAN multichannel backup fails with failed to create sequential file
- Oracle RMAN multichannel backup fails with error ORA-19506: failed to create sequential file. This issue is related to the SEP sesam SBT Windows dll that was not thread-safe, causing the RMAN multichannel backup to fail.
Backups and migrations to tape drive hang or fail after media change
- Write operations to tape that were active during a media change hang with zero throughput, do not start at all, or are aborted after some time.
Backup on VTL that exceeds tape size is shown as successful
- When backing up to the Quastor VTL library, the backup fails to continue writing to the underlying block device due to lack of storage space; even though the error is tracked in the SMS log, the STPD log shows the data transfer as complete and SEP sesam issues the message Backup completed successfully.
Restore of data split on several tapes fails
- Restoring data saved on multiple tapes fails with an error: The archive could not be resynchronized. The same incorrect tape block size is automatically used for the second tape, resulting in a failed restore.
- The restore fails due to the data block not being written to the subsequent tape after EOM, resulting in a lost data block.
On sayFUSE, EOM is not recognized and backups fail
- The EOM (End of Media) parameter is not recognized on sayFUSE, causing backups to fail with "No further tape available" or "Tape not ready" to appear for each session.
Next EOM after EOM IO error sets IO error flag
- SMS remembers EOM IO error status on subsequent normal EOM handling and incorrectly sets IO error flag on subsequent EOM.
Backup to tape with IO error is successful but restore fails
- Backup to tape with IO error is successful, but restore fails with Error: Cannot read from remote archive.
The restore performance from tape is 2-3 times slower than backup performance
- Restore throughput is at most half (more likely less) compared to backup, which significantly increases the total restore time.
Wrong start time is displayed for readability check
- The media readability check start time is set in the past.
Writing to tape could fail with Error sharing violation
- If there is no tape trailer on the tape, the first write job to the tape works but it does not set hw_drives.label to DB; consequently, the second job tries to talk to the tape drive while all other jobs fail with Error sharing violation.
Restored OpenNebula VM does not boot
- The restored OpenNebula virtual machine does not boot because the recovered image was created with the wrong format setting.
OpenNebula VM restore fails with AttributeError or ONE instance has no attribute 'o'
- The restore of OpenNebula VM fails with the error message AttributeError: NoneType object has no attribute group or ONE instance has no attribute 'o' due to missing attribute in VM xml.
OpenNebula VM architecture is not restored
- For OpenNebula virtual machines, the architecture (i386, x86_64) can be specified when the VM is created. During restore, this option is not restored according to the specified VM xml configuration.
When Citrix XenServer CBT backup is started, SEP sesam automatically enables NBD
- When a Citrix XenServer CBT backup is started, SEP sesam enabled NBD on all network interfaces. This was a potential problem if there are interfaces that are inaccessible to the Sesam datamover or if user settings were overwritten on some interfaces.
- As a result, NBD is no longer automatically enabled. See 4 4 3:Citrix XenServer Requirements and Configuration for how to manually enable NBD.
Saveset query for external backups (Oracle, SAP...) returns failed backups
- When searching for savesets related to external backups, savesets with failed status are returned.
Backing up a VM from an ESXI host with a restricted license results in a deadlock
Problem When backing up a VM from an ESXI host without an applied license, SEP sesam attempts to create a snapshot for a virtual machine and an exception occurs. Because the runner does not exit correctly, it gets stuck in an endless loop.
Restore fails with error At current offset 144 (0x90) no valid MTF Stream ID was found
- Restore fails with error At current offset 144 (0x90) no valid MTF Stream ID was found due to incorrectly set SPAR header length for a zero-ranged file.
Restore from migrated saveset uses wrong transport mode
- When restoring a migrated saveset, the restore wizard displays the settings of the original saveset with the selected transport mode, and then uses the correct RDS without adjusting the protocol of the specified interface (transport mode), for example, FTP mode is used instead of HTTP, resulting in a failed restore.
Restore exclude filter does not work correctly
- The restore exclude filter does not work correctly. For example, for a selective restore, the exclude filter is set to "-*.ini" (- prefix), but the filename is not extracted correctly (e.g., /debug.ini instead of debug.ini) so the matching file cannot be found and excluded.
Core dump occurs after starting the migration
- Migration is terminated (core dump of sm_sms_copy) with exception 0xc0000417 after a NEWDAY event occurred.
Migration from tape fails in case of EOM due to insufficient recorded information on next tape
- Migration of savesets that exist on two tapes (media_change) back to datastore fails. SMS fetches the next media label over the restore_results table, refers only to the restore and not to a migration task.
Migration is successful with database error
- Migration results in database error DB_SEL_GETVALUE: Error during DBaccess - return 0. Incorrect szSql variable was used to execute DB select.
NDMP restore from tape fails with error RESTORE: Mangled directory
- NDMP restore from tape failed with NDMP: 1 info: LOG_MESSAGE: 'RESTORE: Mangled directory' due to incorrect buffer handling with the new asynchronous read approach.
NDMP restore via FTP fails with Found a checksum error in header
- NDMP restore via FTP fails with Found a checksum error in header during data transfer, but works via HTTP; as sbc_ndmp uses an incorrect seek function, the restore fails.
An incorrect task type is displayed in the backup task for Dell EMC Unity NDMP client
- (Applies to Dell EMC Unity NDMP backup only) When creating a Dell EMC Unity NDMP backup task in the GUI, the task type NetApp is incorrectly displayed.
- HCL Domino 11 backup fails with Problem while loading dynamic link library: [dlopen() returned: libgsk8iccs_64.so. This issue occurs due to Domino 9 server upgrade to SLES12SP5 Domino 11.0.1FP1 which does not contain libgsk8iccs_64.so, required by SEP sesam.
Windows backup of a volume mounted as folder name fails
- On Windows, backing up a volume mounted as a folder name (instead as a drive letter) fails with the message Invalid file name in FILE block.
The license file in the form of lic.ZIP was not recognized by the GUI
- The license file written with .zip extension as .ZIP is not recognized and accepted by the GUI, because the check for the archived file is done case sensitive. Therefore SEP sesam tried to read the compressed file directly as a text file and the file was not accepted.
Password length is limited to 27 characters
- When you configure a new SEP sesam client and switch to the Access tab (for example, when configuring OES, ESXi, Citrix, Linux/VM server types, and other virtualization servers), it is not possible to enter a password longer than 27 characters; it is also not possible to re-enter the password unless 1 character is removed from the first password field.
Source-side deduplication cannot be changed for an existing backup event
- It is not possible to change the setting (enable/disable) for source-side deduplication if it is set for an existing backup event; when creating a new backup event for a Si3 media pool, source-side deduplication can be enabled.
Deselecting files for selective restore also deselects all parent directories
- Deselecting a subdirectory/subnode in the tree also deselects the parent directory/node - all files above the deselected directory up to the top level are deselected and only the direct parent directory is subselected, so selective restore is not possible.
Restore wizard does not recognize migrated saveset settings
- When restoring from the migrated backup, the last step of the restore wizard displays the settings of the original backup (media pool, RDS...) and not the specific settings of a migrated saveset.
Empty target node selection list in restore wizard for OpenNebula restore
- There is no client with the virtualization type OpenNebula Server. Therefore, the target node selection list is empty, but no message is displayed and the restore wizard can continue.
Adding a drive from a different drive group in the datastore dialog results in an error
- When creating a new drive group and trying to add a new drive of another drive group, an error occurs because it is not possible to use two drive groups for a datastore.
Active backup results do not appear in the results of the task context menu
- GUI does not display the entry for active backup results when opening the results from the task context menu after installation. The active state is not selected in the filter.
|For a list of features, enhancements, and fixed issues in the initial release of Beefalo V2 and its service packs, see Beefalo V2 Release Notes and Beefalo V2 Service Packs Releases.|