SEP sesam provides free updates from previous versions of SEP sesam to new versions and new features within the maintenance period. You can enable a SEP sesam Server to check for the relevant updates and remotely update your clients by using the CLI command sm_update_client.
Using sm_update_client for automatic updates
The sm_update_client command is used to automatically update all clients, RDS, and GUI (including a client). The sm_update_client command uses SEP sesam download center to check for new installation packages available for the configured clients.
The following applies for updating components:
- On Linux, a specific component is always required for an update: a client can be updated using a SEP sesam Client package, updating GUI requires a GUI package, and RDS requires an RDS package.
- On Windows, a client can be updated with any of the three installation packages, updating GUI can be done with either the GUI or SEP sesam Server package, and RDS requires a server package.
The sm_update_client executable is located in the
<SESAM_ROOT>/bin/sesam/, for example c:\Program Files\SEPsesam\bin\sesam\ on Windows. The sm_update_client command is aware of the operating system of the component that needs to be updated and does not perform an update if the available update package is not supported on the respective system. For example, SEP sesam v. 4.4 does not work on Windows XP, therefore this client system will not be updated.
Usage of sm_update_client
The following options are available
Options: -U update clients -c <client name> -C <r|s> client <remote access|sbc connection> check -d download packages only -F force update by same version -L <location> -N <regex> uses only packages matching <regex> -n check available version (no update) -O <os> matches begin of operating system string -u <URL> Use 'URL' instead of 'http://download.sep.de' file:///<local directory> can be used
- To check which components (CLI/RDS/GUI) can be updated, run the following command:
- Now you can decide whether you want to update all CLI/RDS/GUI components, which were listed as update candidates, or you only want to update a specific component.
First, the list of all available packages, found in the SEP sesam download center, is displayed. Next, a list of your configured components and their currently installed SEP sesam packages is shown, followed by the available updates for the respective CLI/RDS/GUI.
- To update all listed update candidates, run the following command:
- If you want to update the CLI/RDS/GUI component with the same package as the currently existing one, use the -F switch:
sm_update_client -U -F
- If you want to update only specific CLI/RDS/GUI, use the following command and replace the <client name> with the name of the target CLI/RDS/GUI component. The second line shows the example for updating a client named seagull.
sm_update_client -U -c <client name> sm_update_client -U -c seagull
- All clients in SEP sesam database can be checked and/or updated by using the ALL_CLIENTS syntax. To update all clients, run the following:
sm_update_client -U -c ALL_CLIENTS
- The parameter -O can be used to select specific clients' operating systems. For example, the following command will update all – and only – Windows Server 2008 based systems (R2 included):
sm_update_client -U -c ALL_CLIENTS -O "Windows Server 2008"
Updating by using local packages
If you would like to update your clients with the packages which are stored at your SEP sesam Server and can be accessed locally, you have to use the sm_update_client and the index.txt file. You will have to generate the index.txt file locally to get the list of all available packages at your SEP sesam Server.
The latest index.txt file with all available packages at SEP sesam repository can be retrieved from the SEP sesam download center.
- To create the index.txt file, open the command prompt and navigate to your SEP sesam installation packages directory. Depending on your OS, run the following command:
- Leave the index.txt file in the directory where it has been generated and pass its location and the location of the packages to sm_update_client. For example, if the packages are located in the
<SESAM_ROOT>work/packagesfolder on your SEP sesam Server, the command would be:
cd C:\ProgramData\SEPsesam\var\work\packages dir /B >index.txt
cd /var/opt/sesam/var/work/packages find . -name "*sesam*" -printf "%P %k %TY-%Tm-%Td %TH:%TM:%TM \n" >index.txt
The following example shows the index.txt file where all Linux packages are in the Linux folder and all Windows packages are in the Windows folder.
linux\sesam_gui-4.2.2-24.sles10.i586.rpm 65420 2013-12-13 16:26:26 linux\sesam_rts-4.2.2-24.sles10.i586.rpm 23066 2013-12-13 16:26:26 linux\sesam_cli-4.2.2-24.sles11.x86_64.rpm 16068 2013-12-13 16:22:22 linux\sesam_gui-4.2.2-24.sles10.x86_64.rpm 66087 2013-12-13 16:23:23 linux\sesam-srv_4.2.2-24.wheezy_i386.deb 90512 2013-12-13 16:20:20 linux\sesam_cli-4.2.2-24.rhel6.x86_64.rpm 18350 2013-12-13 16:16:16 linux\sesam_rts-4.2.2-24.rhel6.x86_64.rpm 60703 2013-12-13 16:16:16 linux\sesam_rts-4.2.2-24.rhel5.x86_64.rpm 59335 2013-12-13 16:17:17 windows\sesam-srv-18.104.22.168-windows.x86.exe 110739 2013-12-13 17:16:16 windows\sesam-gui-22.214.171.124-windows.x86.exe 85511 2013-12-13 17:20:20 windows\sesam-cli-126.96.36.199-windows.x86.exe 24803 2013-12-13 17:24:24 windows\sesam-srv-188.8.131.52-windows.x64.exe 112918 2013-12-13 17:15:15 windows\sesam-gui-184.108.40.206-windows.x64.exe 86261 2013-12-13 17:19:19 windows\sesam-cli-220.127.116.11-windows.x64.exe 25522 2013-12-13 17:22:22
sm_update_client -U -c clientname -u "file:///C:\ProgramData\SEPsesam\var\work\packages"
sm_update_client -U -c clientname -u "file:///var/opt/sesam/var/work/packages"
The automatic update of the SEP sesam Server is currently not supported.
Usage: sm_config_client -i timestamp = identifier of this call -c client name -o operating system [-l location_id] default=0 [-a addr] ( TCPIP-adr. or 'via_nameserver' = default [-m mode] ( CTRL|RSH|SSH ) configures client ( delete ) deletes client ( testsbc|testbackup ) tests connection to/from client [-O options [-s sender of this call] default = sesam -U update client package [-P <package name> path name of package Example: sm_config_client -c kha-testius64 -U -O forceThe last parameter -O force will push the installation even if the installed version is the same as the version of the update package. Note that the client name is case-sensitive, therefore make sure that it is inserted correctly if you want the update to work.
Checking the updates
To check if the update was successful, proceed as follows:
- Check the connection between a GUI client and SEP sesam Server. The connection should work.
- Open the SEP sesam GUI and from the menu bar select Help -> About SEP sesam. Both, SEP sesam GUI client and SEP sesam GUI Server must have the same build versions.