Archive:Generation principle of media control
Copyright © SEP AG 1999-2019. All rights reserved.
Any form of reproduction of the contents or parts of this manual is allowed only with the express written permission from SEP AG. When compiling and designing user documentation SEP AG uses great diligence and attempts to deliver accurate and correct information. However, SEP AG cannot issue a guarantee for the contents of this manual.
|THE CONTENT OF THIS PAGE IS OUTDATED|
|SEP AG has discontinued support for obsolete SEP sesam versions. Instructions are still available for these SEP sesam products, however, SEP AG accepts no responsibility or liability for any errors or inaccuracies in the instructions or for the incorrect operation of obsolete SEP sesam software. It is strongly recommended that you update your SEP sesam software to the latest version. For the latest version of SEP sesam documentation, see documentation home.|
Implementation of the grandfather-father-son principle with SEP sesam
The implementation of this concept in SEP sesam requires the following steps:
- Configure a backup job for each computer to be backed up (eg for computer Tunix source ALL)
- Create media pools
- Day with a retention time of 5 days
- Week with a retention time 27 days
- Month with a retention time of 360 days
- Inclusion of media to a library or a single tape drive
You will need a total of 22 tapes:
- 6 for the pool Day
- 4 for the pool Week
- 12 for the pool Month
Setting up schedules and media events
- Schedule Media_Day to be executed on the weekdays Monday through Thursday with media event on the pool Day. Choose init as media action. Insert in the field Options Day:% u. Therefore Day stands for the pool and % u for the current weekday as a number 1 to 7 1 Is the Monday.
- Schedule Media_Week to be executed every Friday with a media event on the pool Week
- Schedule Media_Month to be executed every last day of the month with the media event on the pool Month with priority 3. Insert in the field Options M:% m. Therefore Month stands for the pool and % m for the current month as a number between 1-12.
Setting up schedules for the start of the backups
- Schedule Backup_Day, create with matching start time and run daily from Monday to Thursday> Backup as diff or INC
- Schedule Backup_Week, create with matching start time and run every Friday of the week> backup as a Full
- Schedule Backup_Month, create with matching start time and run every last day of the month> backup as a Full
Alternatively, the fuse M (onth) are called 'Copy' set on Saturday. This will be a complete detachment from the daily and weekly cycle. Here, the media event for the pool M are to move as well!