4 4 3 Tigon:Kopano Backup
The SEP sesam online module for Kopano provides hot backup of Kopano groupware servers. This includes backing up and restoring single user mails, mailboxes and public folders; you can perform a simultaneous backup of multiple mailboxes as well as parallel export of mailboxes. It also enables efficient migration, deduplication and replication.
Note that SEP sesam Kopano extension does not support Kopano Community Edition since this does not include brick level backup (back up individual e-mails, contacts and calendar items for users and public folders). You can use SEP sesam Path backup to perform a file system backup of Kopano system.
For more information on Kopano editions, see Kopano content editions.
In addition to previously existing COPY backup level, backup levels FULL and DIFF are introduced for Kopano backup as of SEP sesam version 4.4.3 Grolar.
- FULL: Backs up all data specified by the backup task (e.g. files), regardless of whether it has been changed or not.
- DIFF: Saves only the data which was created or changed after the last FULL saveset had been created (of the same task). A differential backup is faster than a full backup, however, to restore the whole data source, first the saveset of the full backup has to be restored followed by restore of the DIFF saveset.
- COPY: Backs up all data defined by the backup task, regardless of when it was last changed; note that a COPY backup (in contrast to FULL) cannot be used as a starting point for DIFF backups and restores. COPY backup is usually used for additional full backups, e.g., monthly backups, or backups for archiving, i.e., removal from storage.
For more information, see Backup Level.
- Check the support matrix for the list of supported Kopano versions.
- SEP sesam Server v. 4.4.3 or higher. Check Hardware requirements for SEP sesam Server.
- Install the SEP sesam Client package on the Kopano server (Kopano backup module is already included in the client package). You can download it from . For details, see SEP Sesam Quick Install Guide.
- SEP sesam Kopano backup module requires a license. For details, see List of Licenses.
- Make sure that the Path backup of the Kopano server works. For details, see Standard Backup Procedure.
- Ensure there is enough disk space available for your backup. The amount of the storage space must be at least as big as the largest mailbox.
Adding the Kopano client to SEP sesam environment
Once you have downloaded the SEP sesam package, proceed as follows: You configure a new client by adding it to the SEP sesam environment: Main selection -> Components -> Topology -> New client -> add your Kopano client. For details, see Configuring Clients.
|Before proceeding, you should validate that you can backup to SEP sesam. Run a test Path backup manually to ensure that the backups work. For details on typical backup configuration, see Standard Backup Procedure.|
Configuring the mailbox backups
Create a new backup task for the backup of the Kopano mailboxes.
- From Main Selection -> Tasks -> By clients, select Kopano client and click New backup task. The New backup task window opens.
- Specify the Source in the following format:
- All users and public folders: all
- All users: all_users
- All public folders: public
- One or more user mailboxes (for example, mk, ryan): <User1>, <User2>
You can enter the backup source
or browse for it.
By selecting the source, the task type and task name are set automatically.
- Optionally, specify the mailboxes which you do not want to back up in the Exclude List. Exclude patterns are regular expressions which are compared against username. For example, ^support$ will exclude the user support and support will exclude users like support, sepsupport and support1. For details, see Creating Exclude List.
- Optionally, you can configure a simultaneous backup of multiple mailboxes by using the command max_exports higher than zero (0). In the backup task properties under the tab Options, enter the following in the Save options field: -a max_exports=<number higher than 0>. For example, to run 5 simultaneous backups, enter -a max_exports=5. This parameter forces the given count of Kopano backup processes on the Kopano server. Make sure that your Kopano server can manage running the specified number of processes at the same time.
- If you want to start the newly created task immediately, right-click the name of the task and click Immediate start. If you want to schedule the task, click New schedule under Main Selection -> Scheduling -> Schedules. For details, see Creating a Schedule.
- Once you have configured a schedule, you must create a new backup event for it. Go to Main Selection -> Scheduling -> New Backup Event, click the Parameter tab and select one of the available backup levels (FULL, DIFF or COPY). For more information, see Creating a Backup Event.
Click OK to create the task.