4 4 3 Grolar:Exchange Configuration
- 1 Overview
- 2 Configuring the Exchange components
- 3 Adding Exchange as a client to SEP sesam environment
- 4 Known issues
- 5 See also
This article describes configuration of SEP sesam Exchange Recovery Pro. Note that the procedures introduced in this article are only the required configuration steps. For details on backup configuration, see Exchange Backup.
Exchange Recovery Pro is a powerful recovery solution for Exchange that allows you to browse or search through backed-up mailboxes and emails and to restore individual emails, calendars, journals, notes, contacts and mailboxes using simple drag-and-drop functionality. Exchange Recovery Pro is only supported on Windows systems and must be installed on the system that serves as the SEP sesam Server or SEP sesam RDS. To use full Exchange Recovery Pro functionality, all SEP sesam clients using Exchange backup functionality must be updated to SEP sesam version ≥ 4.4.3 Grolar.
On Linux systems, Exchange can only be restored manually using an integrated SEP sesam restore wizard in combination with Exchange Recovery Pro to recover to a live Exchange server or mailbox.
Exchange Recovery Pro licenses are issued for a specific number of mailboxes. Only one such license is required since it covers all the mailboxes (user and archive mailboxes) in all Exchange databases. For example, for Database Availability Groups (DAGs) environments, you only need a single Recovery Pro license that supports all your Exchange databases. The license can be installed on different SEP sesam RDS systems so as not to overload your network. Note that you will not be able to restore your data using Exchange Recovery Pro if the number of backed-up mailboxes exceeds the number of mailboxes specified in the license! For more details on licenses, see Licensing.
Configuring the Exchange components
- SEP sesam Server or SEP sesam Remote Device Server (RDS) running on Windows x64 with Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft .NET Framework installed; for details on requirements and supported Exchange versions, check SEP sesam OS and Database Support Matrix. An additional Outlook license is not required and does not need to be activated.
- Check Hardware requirements for SEP sesam Server or RDS.
- A SEP sesam data store Path or SEP sesam Si3 data store is required for instant single item recovery.
- If the backups are encrypted, compressed or stored on tape or a Linux data store, manual restore to a Windows x64 system (with installed SEP sesam Client, Exchange Recovery Pro, and Microsoft Outlook (32-bit, 2010/2013/2016/2019)) is required.
- Make sure that there is sufficient free space on the Windows x64 system that will be used to recover the Exchange database and corresponding transaction log files.
|If Exchange Recovery Pro cannot be installed because of the missing .Net3x, and the .NET Framework 3.5 installation fails every time, log in as administrator and use Microsoft DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) tool to enable .NET directly from the command prompt:
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:D:\sources\SxS /LimitAccess
SEP sesam components for the Exchange environment
- Install the latest SEP sesam Client/RDS version (≥ 4.4.3 Grolar) on all Microsoft Exchange nodes with the default properties.
- Repeat the installation procedure for Database Availability Groups (DAGs) environments (SEP sesam version ≥ 4.4.3 Grolar required).
Installing the Exchange Recovery Pro package
|It is highly recommended to install or upgrade to the version SEP Exchange Recovery Pro V7.6. Note that SEP sesam Exchange Recovery Pro V7.5 does not work on Exchange 2019!|
Make sure that Microsoft Outlook (32-bit, 2010/2013/2016/2019) and SEP sesam Exchange Recovery Pro are installed on the Windows x64 system that serves as the SEP sesam Server or RDS. Outlook does not require special configuration; an additional Outlook license is not required and does not need to be activated.
- Download the latest SEP sesam Exchange Recovery Pro zip package from .
- Extract the files to a directory of your choice. Then open the Recovery Pro directory, double-click SEP_Exchange_Recovery_PRO_<version_no>.exe and follow the instructions. If any of the required components are missing, you will be prompted to install them.
Installing the Exchange Recovery Pro license file
You need a special license file for the SEP sesam Exchange Recovery Pro feature. Licenses are made available immediately your purchase/renewal is completed.
|The license counts all the mailboxes (user and archive mailboxes) in all Exchange databases. If the number of mailboxes does not match those specified in the license, restore will not work!|
- Go to Start -> All Programs -> Exchange Recovery Pro. The message "License file not installed" appears.
- Click the License info button and import the license.ini file.
Adding Exchange as a client to SEP sesam environment
Once you have installed the SEP sesam package and the required Exchange Recovery Pro license, configure Exchange as a new client by adding it to the SEP sesam environment: Main selection -> Components -> Topology -> New client -> add your Exchange client. For details, see Configuring Clients.
|Before proceeding, you should validate that you can backup to SEP sesam. Run a test Path backup manually to ensure that the backups work. For details on typical backup configuration, see Standard Backup Procedure.|
If you have any problems with Exchange, such as Exchange backup fails with VSS API error due to missing Microsoft Exchange VSS writer, check Exchange troubleshooting.