4 4 3 Beefalo:HPE StoreOnce Backup
As of SEP sesam v. 4.4.3 Beefalo, you can use Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) StoreOnce Catalyst stores as a backup storage. HPE StoreOnce enables bandwidth efficient backup and restore over LAN, WAN and Fibre Channel. SEP sesam treats the StoreOnce Catalyst stores like any other devices. Note that before you configure a SEP sesam backup to StoreOnce Catalyst stores, your HPE StoreOnce backup appliance must be set up, as described in HPE StoreOnce Configuration.
Configuring backup to HPE StoreOnce
For backing up to StoreOnce Catalyst store, follow the configuration steps below.
Configuring HPE StoreOnce data store
Once your HPE StoreOnce appliance is set up and the Catalyst stores are created, you can configure the HPE StoreOnce data store in the GUI. SEP sesam HPE StoreOnce data store is a special device type used for writing savesets directly to HPE StoreOnce Catalyst stores.
- In the Main selection -> Components, click Data Stores to display the data store contents frame.
- From the Data Stores menu, select New Data Store. A New Data Store dialog appears.
- In the Name field, enter the name for the HPE StoreOnce Catalyst store equal to the name you have specified during HPE StoreOnce Catalyst store creation, for example, Catalyst_Store_1.
- From the Store type drop-down list, select HPE StoreOnce.
- Make sure that the option Create Drive is checked under the Drive parameter properties. The predefined value for the drive is automatically added to the Drive number field.
- Under the Drive group properties, select Create new drive group if you want to create a new drive group, for example, StoreOnce-store, or select Use existing drive group to add a drive to one of the configured groups, available in the drop-down list.
- The predefined number of channels is already displayed in the Max. channels drop-down list. The number of available channels depends on your SEP sesam Server package. The standard license supports 10 concurrent streams, enabling 10 backup processes to run simultaneously. For details on SEP sesam licenses, see Licensing.
- Switch to the HPE Credentials tab, click New and specify your credentials; Credential set, Host name, Identifier and Password/Verify password.
- Click OK to configure your StoreOnce data store.
Creating a media pool for backup
- Double-click the StoreOnce data store and in the Properties window click Create Media Pool.
- Enter a media pool name, for example, MP_StoreOnce-2_dly.
- Set up the Retention time for which the media from the pool are protected from writing (see Managing EOL).
If you have set StoreOnce immutability (retention) period for your backups when creating the Catalyst stores, the data will be protected for the defined immutability period of time even if the SEP sesam EOL has expired. If the SEP sesam EOL is longer than the defined immutability period, the data will be protected as defined by SEP sesam. For details, see StoreOnce immutability period.
Backing up to HPE StoreOnce
After configuring StoreOnce data store and a media pool, you can configure a backup as described in Standard Backup Procedure. Once configured, run a test backup to make sure that your backup works properly. You can start your backup immediately by right-clicking the newly created task and clicking Immediate start.