4 4 3:SAP ASE Configuration
Copyright © SEP AG 1999-2017. All rights reserved.
Any form of reproduction of the contents or parts of this manual is allowed only with the express written permission from SEP AG. When compiling and designing user documentation SEP AG uses great diligence and attempts to deliver accurate and correct information. However, SEP AG cannot issue a guarantee for the contents of this manual.
This article describes prerequisites and configuration requirements for SAP ASE environment (formerly SAP Sybase ASE). Note that the procedures introduced in this article are only the required pre-configuration steps. For details on SAP ASE integration key features and backup configuration, see SAP ASE Backup.
To ensure error-free operation of SEP sesam and improve performance, make sure that the following conditions are met:
- Check the support matrix for the list of supported SAP ASE versions.
- Download SEP sesam version 4.4.3 Tigon or higher. It is highly recommended to use the latest SEP sesam version. Check Hardware requirements for SEP sesam Server or RDS.
- Extract the files to a directory of your choice. Double-click setup.exe and follow the instructions. For details, see SEP Sesam Quick Install Guide .
- Verify that your network is set up correctly and that DNS name resolution is successful. Note that forward and reverse DNS resolution is required by SEP sesam. For details, see How to check DNS configuration.
- It is recommended that 10 gigabit Ethernet (10GbE) is available for larger backups.
- Once your SEP sesam is installed, import your SEP sesam license. For details, see licensing.
- Configure SEP sesam and ensure that a data store has sufficient space. For general details, see SEP sesam data store. For more details on configuration, see SEP sesam first steps.
Configuring SAP ASE
As of SEP sesam v. 4.4.3 Tigon, SEP sesam installation contains the libraries needed for the SAP ASE API integration on the local operating system.
To install the library into the right location for your system, make sure that the following prerequisites are met:
- You must know where your SAP ASE database server is installed (for example,
- Ensure that you have read/write permissions to access your $SYBASE_ASE or %SYBASE_ASE% directory.
- You must know your database server administrator (SA) password.
Enable dump history file
If not, enable the dump history feature for your ASE instance by command:
sp_configure "enable dump history",1
For details, see Enhancements to Dump and Load.
Once you have downloaded the SEP sesam package, proceed as follows:
- Locate the libsepsybase.so (Linux) or libsepsybase.dll (Windows) file in your SEP sesam installation path. The default installation path on Linux is
/opt/sesam/bin/sesamand on Windows
- Copy the file to your $SYBASE/$SYBASE_ASE folder on Linux or %SYBASE%\%SYBASE_ASE% on Windows.
- Make sure that the file is executable for the user that runs your SAP ASE database process.
- Test the backup with one of the dump commands, as described in the next step SAP ASE Backup.