4 4 3:Novell GroupWise Backup
Copyright © SEP AG 1999-2020. All rights reserved.
Any form of reproduction of the contents or parts of this manual is allowed only with the express written permission from SEP AG. When compiling and designing user documentation SEP AG uses great diligence and attempts to deliver accurate and correct information. However, SEP AG cannot issue a guarantee for the contents of this manual.
SEP sesam Novell client provides SEP sesam provides efficient data protection for GroupWare environment. It uses the Novell SMDR services and TSA to back up and restore GroupWise. By using the integrated Si3 target deduplication for GroupWise backups, you can benefit from reduced disk capacity and increased overall storage performance.
SEP sesam supports full, incremental and differential backup at post office, domain and database level. Only one GroupWise object can be backed up in one backup task, but you can use the grouping functionality to combine individual GroupWise tasks together into a single task group. SEP sesam provides immediate restore of all or only selected parts of your GroupWise system — a domain, a mailbox, or a single message. For details, see Novell GroupWise Restore.
To ensure error-free operation of SEP sesam and improve performance, make sure that the following conditions are met:
- Check the support matrix for the list of supported GroupWise versions.
- Make sure that all the prerequisites are met and that you have configured GroupWise with SEP sesam properly: check Novell GroupWise configuration before backing up your GroupWise environment.
Creating a backup task
As of SEP sesam version 4.4.3, you can use the Si3 deduplication data store for your GroupWise environment backup.
- From Main Selection -> Tasks -> By clients, select the Novell GroupWise client and click New backup task. The New backup task window opens.
- Specify the Source. By selecting the source, the backup type and task name are set automatically.
- In the tab Novell SMS, you can define a special user for this task only. This is necessary in case the global administrator which was set in the client properties has no permission for the GroupWise instance.
- If you want to start the newly created task immediately, right-click the name of the task and click Immediate start. If you want to schedule the task, click New schedule under Main Selection -> Scheduling -> Schedules.
|You must select the highest level of the GroupWise object as shown. If you browse the object directory and select a subfolder or file, the GUI will show the error message and you will not be able to create a task.|
Once you have configured a schedule, you must create a new backup event for it. Go to Main Selection -> Scheduling -> New Backup Event, click the Parameter tab and select one of the available backup level types. For more information on schedules and related events, see Schedules 4.4.
If you have problems with Novell GroupWise, check the Troubleshooting Guide.